Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipj file paths

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1806 Views, 9 Replies

ipj file paths

I have four machines using Inv 2008. We do engineering to order, therefore, every job has its own *.ipj file. On the first machine, when I open Inventor 2008 via double clicking on the *.ipj file and then get the open dialog box. The path is correctly associated. On all the other machines when I open R2008 using the same method. I get the file path from some other ipj file. I check the projects and the correct project is selected, but the open path is wrong. Can someone help me correct this problem?

Thank You
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Inventor 2008 Service Pack 2

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP1, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

That didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

IV 2008 SP2?

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP2, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I installed SP 2 and it didn't solve the problem. In fact, I can't tell if it made any difference or not.
Message 6 of 10
tommy-z

Hello

I have the same problem with Inventor 2010 and Windows 7 x64.

Btw; I'm puzzled as to how this thread just died, without any answer to the question, or - at the very least - a:

"Sorry, but we can't seem to find a solution"

Message 7 of 10
tommy-z

Hello again

Anybody got an answer?

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: tommy-z

Well, the easy answer is to change your method for starting Inventor: start Inventor using the installed icon, then using the Open dialog box, select your project and then the file you want.  If you don't have the project in your list (you haven't used it before), then this means drilling down to the project editor, then browsing to find the .ipj, which is quite a few mouse clicks.

I don't have this problem with Inventor 2011 (works as described by the OP), but for the ones with this problem, I wonder if the Open box is showing the last accessed file, and a simple click on the Workspace link in the navigation pane (upper left) would show the files associated with the opened project?

Message 9 of 10
tommy-z

Hi

As grateful as I am to have, at last I might add, received an answer,  I have to say that I do not feel overly satisfied by the same.

The "normal" behaviour of most every piece of software, running under any flavor of Windows, is that  - when double-clicking on any file with a valid association - the relevant program starts up, with the clicked file opening for edit (or whatever appropriate).

This modus operandum has been adhered to by any and all combinations of Inventor and Windows, which we have employed in our company, from windows 98 + Inventor 5.3 up to and including Windows 7 x32 + Inventor 2010 (SP1)(run by a collegue of mine). They all have operated in this manner, mine does not!

I run, as listed above, Windows 7 x64. + Inventor 2010 (SP3) (both freshly installed from scratch), and although I can work in the sequence you suggest (which indeed I have to), it is unsatisfying and cumbersome to the extreme.

I routinely open 8 - 10 different projects during any given day, and the problem persists, regardles if I have previously opened a project or not.

I sincerely hope that you, or someone else, will be able to come up with an answer to my problem.

Message 10 of 10
tommy-z

Hi again

Another topic, which may or may not be related (and possibly discussed in annother thread):

I seem to have been informed (Google etc.) that the Inventor 2010 and 2011 should be able to "remember" the size and position of the (resizeable) "File Open" dialog-box.

That also does not work om my computer.

It remembers "per session" and occasionally (at least, that is my impression) from one session to the next, but not if Windows has been restarted.

Hoping still for some answers.

Regards

Tommy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report