Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2014/2015 revisions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
stephenson513
611 Views, 5 Replies

inventor 2014/2015 revisions

Hey guys

Can someone elaborate on how inventor works with part or assembly revisions if not using vault. I want to be able to create a new revision of a part within the part but be able to look at the previous revision without being able to modify it. Basically all the revisions must be within the part and all old revisions un-editable.

Does anything work this way?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

One revision = One file

the representation of an *.ipt part basicly is good for one revision.

through the iProperties of that part, as well as an *.iam assembly or drawing, you can set within the tab "project" the revision Number. this is a manual field though!!! it is up to you then to push this "component" revision through to the titleblock of the drawing, or use the revision number of the drawing itself.

Without Vault, there is no other system to keep track of previous revisions.

But the Inventor project file has an options where one can set the "Old versions to keep On Save", where the setting "-1" keeps all.

So every time you hit save, an old version appears in the [Old Versions] folder of your inventor project. But save not really means Revision.

- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)
Message 3 of 6

currently I do manually change the revision number in the iproperties field everytime I make a change. So you saying that everytime I save the part, old versions stores a copy. If I save a part 10 times then there will be 10 copies?
If I save a part 10 times while working with it will it save 10 copies or only when I exit and come back to it does it do that?
Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: stephenson513

@stephenson513 wrote:
currently I do manually change the revision number in the iproperties field everytime I make a change. So you saying that everytime I save the part, old versions stores a copy. If I save a part 10 times then there will be 10 copies?
If I save a part 10 times while working with it will it save 10 copies or only when I exit and come back to it does it do that?

You can set it to keep all or none or a certain amount..

See the options section in your project file setup

From the Inventor help

Old Versions to Keep On Save Sets the maximum number of versions of a file to store. You can click and change the variable to the maximum number of file versions to keep in all OldVersions\ folders in the project.
The first time you save a file in a project, an OldVersions\ folder for that file is created. When you next save the file, the prior version moves automatically to its OldVersions\ folder. After the number of old versions reaches the maximum, the oldest version is deleted when a newer version moves into the folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: stephenson513

@stephenson513 wrote:

Hey guys

Can someone elaborate on how inventor works with part or assembly revisions if not using vault. I want to be able to create a new revision of a part within the part but be able to look at the previous revision without being able to modify it. Basically all the revisions must be within the part and all old revisions un-editable.

Does anything work this way?

Thanks

I might suggest inplementing a process of saving a copy of the current revision prior to changing it..

So save it like part1_rev A.ipt in an "old revisions" folder or something like that and then you can use windows explorer to set it to read only.

Then simply modify the original file to do the required revision changes. Then you always have a copy of it to reference back to if needed. 

Might be a neat simple ilogic code/macro to have too.. A simple 1 button click to save copy as and append the revision number/letter to it and save it in a specific file. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
stephenson513
in reply to: mcgyvr

This sounds like a plan : )

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report