Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert too lenght table from excel

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
rgruychev
640 Views, 14 Replies

insert too lenght table from excel

I have problem when insert too lenght table from Excel.

Inventor cut column

I used  Manage -> Insert Objec

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jletcher
in reply to: rgruychev

Not following you on this. you want to insert a excel into a part or a idw?

Message 3 of 15
rgruychev
in reply to: jletcher

insert a excel into in a idw drawing

Message 4 of 15
jletcher

Ok now what is the problem you are having?

Message 5 of 15
rgruychev

when insert excel table in inventor drawing  from manage, insert object . Inventor cut column table.

Message 6 of 15
andrewiv

Just highlight what you want in the excel table and copy/paste special into the idw.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 15
sam_m

it's a windows/excel issue that has existed for years...  Basically the copy/paste buffer isn't big enough and thus you lose information when you paste it.  More recent versions of Excel are better but I believe the issue is still there with a large enough data-set.

From memory I think there are some bizare work-arounds - think it's linked to pixel-area you're selecting, so reducing the width of columns can suddenly allow another column to paste.  Or use a smaller font and reduce all columns.

tbh, I've been so annoyed by this in the past I've given up using Excel tables in Inventor and use Inventor's own table command and copy/paste the excel cells into that, seems to work a lot easier (but lose functionality like merged cells), especially when you come to edit the table in the future.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 15
jletcher

Well I just did it in Inventor 2012 excel 2010 worked fine.

What versions do you have and what steps are you doing to insert it.? You want help but you do not give enough information to help you . What are the issues when you insert it?

Works 2.JPG

Message 9 of 15
rgruychev

when insert missing 5 column

inventor 2013 excel 2010

Message 10 of 15
jletcher

Ok now I see whats up. Yeah it is cutting it off only letting like 12.87 inches to be inserted and it cuts of the rest. Going to have to work on this.

Message 11 of 15
sam_m

see my earlier reply - it's an old Excel bug (search Google for "Excel paste truncate" or similar)

try reducing the width of cells and see it it makes a difference.  It's almost like printing the page, what's outside the page's width isn't printed (on the 1st page), so reduce the width of the columns (or reduce all text size and compress columns) will get more within the print-width and more with copy/paste into Inventor.  Thinking about it, does changing the print-area do anything? 

or just create a General Table in Inventor and copy paste Excel into the Inventor table-editor in sections.

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 12 of 15
jletcher
in reply to: sam_m

Really autodesk needs to stop adding crap and fix it...

Message 13 of 15
sam_m

read again.... it's an issue with Excel and not Inventor...  How can Autodesk fix an issue with other software?

but do admit it would help a LOT to have Inventor's tables more Excel-like with f2 being edit, enter going to next cell, etc. 

Sam M.

Message 14 of 15
jletcher
in reply to: sam_m

read again.... it's an issue with Excel and not Inventor...  How can Autodesk fix an issue with other software?

Well Sam if you know it is excel what is the fix?

This is an Invemtor issue I will almost bet a paycheck on it.

And how do you think all the windows / Inventor bugs get fixed?

Autodesk and Microsoft have been in bed together for years matter of fact Autodesk was getting money from Microsoft to develope windows base cad. Why do you think Autodesk had to stop writing for mac? It was not a choice and now the contract is up so they can now write for mac again. Plus they have enough money to do it themself before they needed the money.

So it really don't matter if it is Inventor or microsoft  or both. The fact still remains it is an issue that needs to be fixed and I have this thing if it don't work fix it before you go forward.

Message 15 of 15
CAD-One

Thanks Sam. Reducing font size worked for me.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report