Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ifeature - new solid or bool to one of solids in part

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kmeldfreyssinet
788 Views, 11 Replies

ifeature - new solid or bool to one of solids in part

Hi,

I have a part and would like to insert iFeature solid body as New solid.

Is there any way to do that?

Another thing would be how to add iFeature substraction (extrud) but in such a way that it would only interfere with one of solids present in the part?

Cris.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

This is for the subtracting part.... You could use Copy Object and use Sculpt to remove it from just one part .... or you could just derived Subtraction for this too

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I can not use derivered parts because I need this elements to be placed in different location. So generally iFrature works file except for some technical details.

first question is for addition.

Situation is as follows: In new part  I have some solid body being produced using sweep, slice commands. Its geometry is rather complex.

In this part I want to place iFeature that holds some solid. It is constructed using extrusion, chamfer, filet.

When I insert iFeature and place it in the position I want everything crashes because hamfers and filets fail to produce miningful results because there are interfenrence with solid modeled in this part.

if I was able to place iFeature as new solud than after I could bool add this two solids and get result I want.

Secound question was for substracting iFeature but from selected solid if more then one are present in part iFeature is inserted to.

Cris.

Message 4 of 12

Indeed, iFeature is not yet capable of generating a new solid by itself. I still think you could use Derive. Once the body is derived, you can use Move Bodies command or Direct Edit (R2015) to relocate the body to the desirable place.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

Thanks for advice but I am obviously unable to use this technique.

After deriving this body I can use move bodies but I can not rotate it. Also it is only possible to either insert numeric values of some displacement vector or use free drag.

I have quite complex geometry. In my part I have workplane and I would like to align XY plane of derived part to this workplane and place it in exact position that can only be calculated accurately by Inventor.

Something like constrains in assemblies would be usefully for derived parts.

Cris.

Message 6 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

Please vote it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/New-body-to-iFeature/idi-p/4321374

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@kmeldfreyssinet wrote:

After deriving this body I can use move bodies but I can not rotate it.  

Cris.

Move Body can be used to translate and/or rotate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 12

Hi! Move Bodies can move and rotate selected bodies. The default mode is Move. If you want to rotate, you need to select the drop-down menu in the Move Bodies dialog and change it to Rotate.

I have heard similar confusion before due to the default display of the Move Bodies dialog. It makes people believe only move is allowed.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

Sorry to say but there is no drop down menu in move body dialog.

If Autodesk knowsk this command is introduced in a way that it confuses users why it was not  changed?

move body.png

Also functions of this command are not what I would expect in engineering software. Free drag is good for painting or graphics but when you deal with precise parts precise commands with snapping capabilities and precise positioning of elements are essential.

Cris.

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

I would not have stated (see message 7 above) that you can Rotate Body if it wasn't there.

Move Bodies.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 12
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: JDMather

In deed there is an option to rotate.

Still not a big help for me in this function. But thanks anyway.

Cris.

Message 12 of 12
admaiora

Quite clear for me the tool.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report