Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.idw still linked to the items from deleted views, how to remove associations?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Infoseeker
1710 Views, 14 Replies

.idw still linked to the items from deleted views, how to remove associations?

This is weird.

I place Parts Lists on a drawing check it in to the Vault, check the drawing out, delete Parts List, check the drawing in, it still checks the assembly that been used to get the Parts List.

I check out .idw again, in the Vault view I still see removed files being linked to the .idw eventhough there is nothing in the drawing connected with these files.

The same thing with views...

How to remove those relationships?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: Infoseeker

Was this drawing a copy design (from vault) creation or a result of doing a copy and a rename from an original model/drawing combo?

It sounds as though you views might still be referencing the previous model.  Check here to see if that is the case.

reference.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

If its not a design copy issue check out the entire assembly and all parts. Go to vault. Any files not checked out delete. Open the drawing, any views that now show errors need to be deleted or the reference replaced with the correct part. If you did a design copy make sure the parts were copied, not reused.

If you did a copy and rename, check the model reference as cadmanto suggested.

More info would be helpful, such as did you copy the design in vault, or save a copy of the assembly, etc? Or have you just deleted parts or replaced them, etc.?

Message 4 of 15
Infoseeker
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no resolve errors, its simply a .idw saved as new one, views and boms deleted. Empty sheet.

There is nothing there. But the Vault still sees relationships.

I populated one bom, deleted it, populated second, deleted it, now in the Vaul model tree I have those two assemblies linked to .idw eventhou there is no trace of them on the drawing.

Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

If that is all it is, why not just start a brand new drawing using one of your templates?

That is a clean slate with no references.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15
Infoseeker
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thats not really a solution.

Any view or bom I create and delete stays linked with the .idw, this means I need to create new drawing whenever I delete bom and create new one? You cant do it on tight deadlines.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

if you are deleting the BOM and all drawing views, what is the difference between it and a new drawing besides the title block not being filled out? Don't understand how having to fill out a new title block interferes with deadlines. I could understand if you still wanted detail views left on the page, but if you are deleting everything.... We are missing something, or have you not saved your title block as a template to use over and over again?

Message 8 of 15
Infoseeker
in reply to: Anonymous

What you are missing is that I dont want my drawing file to keep the references to the files I am not using.

This is not normal that the .idw file keeps links to the deleted files and it was not a case for previous versions of Inventor/Vault. And I know that I can start a new drawing. But I dont want to do it for various reasons.

I want to find out how to get rid of my .idw referencing deleted files.

Message 9 of 15
Cadmanto

Ok, fair enough.  You have your reasons and I respect that.

In doing some searching what you are looking to do is basically purge the drawing of the previous file attachments.

According to this thread this is not available.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Drawing-view-deleted-but-model-reference-is-still-th...

So, I have created an idea that hopefully will put this functionality into motion.  Check out this link and cast your support for it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Purge-Unused/idi-p/3874332

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

About all I can suggest is place a new assembly on the page, then try replacing the old references with the new assembly. Don't know if this will work, as cannot reproduce the error, As the reference stated it is more likely a corrupted drawing.

Message 11 of 15
Infoseeker

I dont think I had this issue with 2011 version. As I mentioned it seems to be 2013 version problem. 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Could be, it appears to me that from 2012 to 2013, a lot of bugs crept in, which is why our company still runs 2011.

Message 13 of 15
mgeurts

Working with Productstream2010 I had the same problem.

Seems to be that parts was still in list of recent documents (under the big I).

Restart Inventor (2010) worked out for me

Inventor Professional 2021
3DS Max 2022
Win 10
Message 14 of 15
elelieveld

Here's what I just figured out that helped.

Using "replace model reference" under the Manage Tab, replace unwanted assembly files (.IAM) with the assembly file of what the drawing is for.

The box will show multiple instances of the same assembly file but it will then delete them and any associated part files from the unwanted assemblies.

Worked great for me.  I had a drawing with over 100 file references that went down to 5 references after I did this.

Message 15 of 15
Hunteil
in reply to: elelieveld

This does seem like a bug...
I used Design Copy in Vault for a ipt I was using in a idw... I then created a family off the new part and generated the files. Then used Replace Model Reference tool... The other part was still linked even though nothing was left linked to it. Even the Vault tab showed all new files. But my family parent ipt wouldn't check in all the parts. I had to close down Inventor and reopen it for my ipt and idw to check in correctly. But the original part I copied from is still saying this idw is the parent file... Right now I want to delete that old ipt (b/c it exists outside of my family and I already have a new one within the family) But now I have to get admin permissions to delete it b/c it claims its still being used by the idw. Real pain that should be patched but they haven't in years. If you use replace Model Reference tool, it should update the model file for you in vault as well. (as long as it's not locked by release states.)

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report