Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
jparks_79
Message 1 of 10 (894 Views)

iProperties in Windows explorer

894 Views, 9 Replies
04-26-2012 07:17 AM

Hello,

I see this post a couple of different places but without any real answer.

Does anyone know of a way to display the inventor iproperties in windows explorer or in the inventor open dialogue box? This would be useful for us in a lot of situations. If there isn't an inventor trick, maybe a windows trick?

Thanks,

Jeremy

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 10 (890 Views)

Re: iProperties in Windows explorer

04-26-2012 07:31 AM in reply to: jparks_79

Jeremy,

If you RCon the file in windows explorer and select properties, click ok then this dialog window comes up.

PROPS.JPG

Then just select "iPROPERTIES and the dialog that comes up with mimic the one you see inside of Inventor.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Active Contributor
gcooper79
Message 3 of 10 (890 Views)

04-26-2012 07:31 AM in reply to: jparks_79

I don';t know what version you are using, but I pretty sure the method below works for the last 3 realses of Inventor.

If you RMB click the file and select properties, there should be an IProperties tab you can select.  There is a button which will open the Iproperties for that file.

Hope this helps,

Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 4 of 10 (879 Views)

04-26-2012 07:48 AM in reply to: jparks_79

Can you not just right click on the file in Explorer and select iProperties?

iProperties.png

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 5 of 10 (873 Views)

04-26-2012 08:11 AM in reply to: jparks_79

Hi jparks_79,

I suspect what you're wanting is a way to view the iProperties in the meta-data grid that is available in Windows Explorer and the Open dialog when the view is set to Details.

Unfortunatly, I'm not aware of a way to do so. But maybe someone else knows of an add-in or trick.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor iProperties Windows Properties.png

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

jparks_79
Message 6 of 10 (870 Views)

04-26-2012 08:14 AM in reply to: jparks_79

Hi Guys,

I am sorry for not being more clear. I am aware of the right click, I was more curious of getting the properties to display in the grid. Does that make since?

For example, I would like to see Project and Part number iProperties displayed in the properties grid to easily sort through files. Or even more so, I would like to see custom iProrperties displayed in the grid. Right now, I only see a way to have the standard windows properties.

Thanks,

Jeremy

jparks_79
Message 7 of 10 (867 Views)

04-26-2012 08:16 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

You are right. This exactly what I was hoping for. I thought maybe there was some feature I was over looking. But it sounds like it isn't in the interface :-(

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

wseaston
Message 8 of 10 (718 Views)

10-29-2012 01:05 AM in reply to: jparks_79

I have just posted the same question.... Jeremey did you ever get any solution to your enquiry. I really would like a way to show the properties in the Windows grid.

It is one of the main things preventing us from enforcing that Inventor files only get saved by part number as the file name.

From Vault this is not a problem but it poses challenges for the user when the files are not yet in vault but are being accessed from the local drive before check in.

Thanks

jparks_79
Message 9 of 10 (663 Views)

10-30-2012 09:17 AM in reply to: wseaston

Hi Wseaston,

There was some improvement with the 2013 release(which we are not using yet). And the improvement only comes if you are using vault and the vault addin for inventor.

When using "Open from Vault" you supposedly can select the same properties which are available while you are in the vault explorer. I do not have an installation available to test, but i sounds like it works.

Here is the link I found for it under vault 2013 Whats new;

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0000-What_s_N0

Under streamlined workflows, you can see open from vault.

Good Luck!

Jeremy

mrice
Message 10 of 10 (397 Views)

08-30-2013 06:03 AM in reply to: jparks_79
Looking for a solution to work for Windows Explorer. I access Vault over a VPN connection and don't stay connected all day. When I try to drag and drop a file from vault into Inventor 2014, the following pops up:
"The selected file c:\temp\.....ipt may not be found in this location the next time you open the referencing document ..."
Even though I have a local copy on my hard drive, it still wants to point to the Vault version and I won't be connected to it the entire time I'm using Inventor. I can check Vault to get the description, then go to Windows Explorer or Inventors Place command. I can also hover over a file name (need to click any file name first) in the Place command & the iProperties that I need to see pop up for that file. The issue here is that there is a 2 second delay for each file that I hover over.
The biggest issue I see with Inventor is too many clicks to get to what I need to do. Very frustrating.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.