Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart vs iLogic

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
LeedsLad8t6
2928 Views, 6 Replies

iPart vs iLogic

Hello all,

Quick question regarding iParts vs iLogic...

I have recently completed a course in which I made use of a table to drive parts (nothing too complex) simply length,supression of features etc.

My tutor mentioned that i would most likely never use the method I had for the assignment in the future & that iLogic was an easier way to accomplish on the fly changes to a model.

My question is are the two interchangeable, is one more favourable for simple projects and the other better suited to more complex situations, am I better off investing my time into learning more of iLogic or do the two features compliment one another?

Just as an example of the simplicity I am currently fiddling around with, I have a 1/2 piece lego brick which I then switch to a double or triple brick with the use of the iPart feature.

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you.

Daniel

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jddickson
in reply to: LeedsLad8t6

You can use ilogic in iParts. I would suggest learning both. Both come in very handy in different situations. 

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: jddickson

There is usually more than one way to do anything in any program..

A "smart" student learns as much of the program as possible..

IF you have some programming knowledge then ilogic is a GREAT tool.. But if you don't.. Its basically useless an then using the built in "no programming skills necessary" functionality is the way to go..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7

Hi LeedsLad8t6,

iParts = part configurations (or families of parts). Basically it is useful for setting up "same but different" parts. You can create custom iParts that allow you to place "on the fly" variations of your iPart, but it is more common to use iParts to create known variations of size, material, etc.

iLogic can be used to create part configurations as well, but it can also be used to automate all sorts of tasks in Inventor.For instance, maybe you want to quickly turn off all of the work features in your model:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2013/03/turn-onoff-all-workfeatures-with-ilogic.html

Maybe you want to clean up a bunch of broken assembly constraints:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2013/01/ilogic-delete-all-sick-assembly.html

Maybe you want to extrude a complex logo quickly, and need to do it often:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2012/03/ilogic-to-select-all-of-closed-profiles.html

So, iLogic allows you to automate Inventor, where as iPart allow you to configure a specific family of parts. As the others have said, these are two distinct tool sets, and knowing both will be useful going forward.

Also, I might be a bit cautious about taking the advise of the instructor who tells you "you probably won't ever use this in real life" to heart. Most likely it just means that they have not had the need to use the tool or functionally in question in real life. But it could very likely end up being a critical part of your day to day job function at some point in the future, depending upon the product, industry, or region you end up working in.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 7
LeedsLad8t6

Thanks for the advice all.

I have basic experience in java script action script & html so im hoping I can get to grips with ilogic.

As I had only used iparts to extend/supress simple features & dimensions this has been very helpful. I noticed there's an option for I assemblies too which I gather could get incredibly complicated...

I'm sure I will be posting with more queries having tried things out more 😄

D
Message 6 of 7
Ray_P

I have been using Ipart factories for some time. They are a gret time saver. The Iproperties do not update automatically in the parent part when switching between differeent variations of the part(s). I have to go to each version part and run an I logic rule to make the Iproperties update or (rmb on iproperties/physical tab/update) (what the rule does).

Do you or any body reading this post - Know of a rule that would update all child parts mass prop that I could trigger "before save"  from the parent part or something simular? Alterativly triggered from the idw to update the physical model properties in the IDW view(s).

If you do please share 

IV 2013 

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
jddickson
in reply to: Ray_P

Inside your iParts you can set your Event Trigger to “run” before save document. When you save your top level assemblies then click yes to save all. If you are on the drawing level you can click on the view and then click the update button then save all.

For example we use a simple code that takes the file name and splits it to fill out two of our custom iProperties.  

'MarkNumber and Job Information iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number") = ThisDoc.FileName(False) 'without extensionTry
  'Filename Convert    Part_Number = iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")

Job_Split = Split(Part_Number, "-")(0)
    Mark_Split = Split(Part_Number, "-")(1)

iProperties.Value("Custom", "Job" ) = "=" & Job_Split
    iProperties.Value("Custom", "MarkNumber") = "=" & Mark_Split
Catch
End Try

iProperties.Value("Custom", "Mass")=Round(iProperties.Mass)
iProperties.Value("Custom", "Masskg")=Round(iProperties.Mass*0.45359237)

pic 10.jpg

pic 11.jpg

I hope this Helps 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report