Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart child path question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
398 Views, 3 Replies

iPart child path question

Our IT department has rearranged our file servers and drive mappings. We used to keep our Inventor libraries on our "W:" drive. Now they want to eliminate the "W:\" drive. I thought it would be matter of editing the include project file (see old and new project files below). Not the case, when opening an assembly using the new include file, each iPart child displays a resolve link dialog, looking for its parent. It finds its parent OK, but when you click the open button it gives you the "The location of the selected file is not in the active project" error. You can use the Locations windows to navigate to the correct library location and it works fine, but since the child is in a library it can't be saved. What's got me scratching my head is the Autodesk documentation states that when Inventor references a library part it stores the Library name, Filename and Subfolder path. So you would think changing the library paths but not the library name would work. But the iPart children must store the entire path, which doesn't make much since? Inventor won't let me start the VBA editor in an iPart, or else I would take a look at the object model and try to get a better understanding of what's going on. My questions 1) Is this a bug in Inventor or is this supposes to be how it works? 2) Can the API of an iPart be accessed maybe with apprentice so the path can be modified? ***Old Include file*** [Library Search Paths] _Inventor Fastener Library V1=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners _Component Library=w:\LIV Inventor\Component Library _Fasteners=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners Company Standards=w:\Inventor\Company Standards Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items _Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware _Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children ***New Include file*** [Project Defaults] MultiUser=None UseRelative=FALSE v=1 Vault Server= Vault Name= Vault Project= Streamline Watch Folder= [Included Path File] [Library Search Paths] _Inventor Fastener Library V1=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners _Component Library=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Component Library _Fasteners=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners Company Standards=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Company Standards Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items _Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware _Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children TIA Rick
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Letter mapping is the problem area. You would be better off using UNC path designations. An example would be: \\servername\primary foldername\project foldername\ \\servername\primary foldername\library foldername\ A more complete example is in the "Managing your Data" book on page 4 and the dialog box shown on page 25. RMD wrote: > Our IT department has rearranged our file servers and drive mappings. We > used to keep our Inventor libraries on our "W:" drive. Now they want to > eliminate the "W:\" drive. I thought it would be matter of editing the > include project file (see old and new project files below). Not the case, > when opening an assembly using the new include file, each iPart child > displays a resolve link dialog, looking for its parent. It finds its parent > OK, but when you click the open button it gives you the "The location of the > selected file is not in the active project" error. You can use the Locations > windows to navigate to the correct library location and it works fine, but > since the child is in a library it can't be saved. What's got me scratching > my head is the Autodesk documentation states that when Inventor references a > library part it stores the Library name, Filename and Subfolder path. So you > would think changing the library paths but not the library name would work. > But the iPart children must store the entire path, which doesn't make much > since? Inventor won't let me start the VBA editor in an iPart, or else I > would take a look at the object model and try to get a better understanding > of what's going on. > > > > My questions > > 1) Is this a bug in Inventor or is this supposes to be how it works? > > 2) Can the API of an iPart be accessed maybe with apprentice so the > path can be modified? > > > > > > > > ***Old Include file*** > > [Library Search Paths] > > _Inventor Fastener Library V1=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > _Component Library=w:\LIV Inventor\Component Library > > _Fasteners=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > Company Standards=w:\Inventor\Company Standards > > Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items > > _Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children > > Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware > > _Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children > > > > > > ***New Include file*** > > [Project Defaults] > > MultiUser=None > > UseRelative=FALSE > > v=1 > > Vault Server= > > Vault Name= > > Vault Project= > > Streamline Watch Folder= > > > > [Included Path File] > > > > > > [Library Search Paths] > > _Inventor Fastener Library V1=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > _Component Library=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Component Library > > _Fasteners=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > Company Standards=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Company Standards > > Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items > > _Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children > > Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware > > _Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children > > > > > > TIA > > Rick > > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I know... We had letter maps and now i'm trying to change to UNCs and am running into the problems "Hal Gwin" wrote in message news:408ffd81$1_1@newsprd01... > Letter mapping is the problem area. You would be better off using UNC > path designations. An example would be: > \\servername\primary foldername\project foldername\ > \\servername\primary foldername\library foldername\ > > A more complete example is in the "Managing your Data" book on page 4 > and the dialog box shown on page 25. > > RMD wrote: > > > Our IT department has rearranged our file servers and drive mappings. We > > used to keep our Inventor libraries on our "W:" drive. Now they want to > > eliminate the "W:\" drive. I thought it would be matter of editing the > > include project file (see old and new project files below). Not the case, > > when opening an assembly using the new include file, each iPart child > > displays a resolve link dialog, looking for its parent. It finds its parent > > OK, but when you click the open button it gives you the "The location of the > > selected file is not in the active project" error. You can use the Locations > > windows to navigate to the correct library location and it works fine, but > > since the child is in a library it can't be saved. What's got me scratching > > my head is the Autodesk documentation states that when Inventor references a > > library part it stores the Library name, Filename and Subfolder path. So you > > would think changing the library paths but not the library name would work. > > But the iPart children must store the entire path, which doesn't make much > > since? Inventor won't let me start the VBA editor in an iPart, or else I > > would take a look at the object model and try to get a better understanding > > of what's going on. > > > > > > > > My questions > > > > 1) Is this a bug in Inventor or is this supposes to be how it works? > > > > 2) Can the API of an iPart be accessed maybe with apprentice so the > > path can be modified? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ***Old Include file*** > > > > [Library Search Paths] > > > > _Inventor Fastener Library V1=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > > > _Component Library=w:\LIV Inventor\Component Library > > > > _Fasteners=w:\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > > > Company Standards=w:\Inventor\Company Standards > > > > Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items > > > > _Purchased Items=w:\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children > > > > Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware > > > > _Standard Hardware=w:\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children > > > > > > > > > > > > ***New Include file*** > > > > [Project Defaults] > > > > MultiUser=None > > > > UseRelative=FALSE > > > > v=1 > > > > Vault Server= > > > > Vault Name= > > > > Vault Project= > > > > Streamline Watch Folder= > > > > > > > > [Included Path File] > > > > > > > > > > > > [Library Search Paths] > > > > _Inventor Fastener Library V1=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > > > _Component Library=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Component Library > > > > _Fasteners=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\LIV Inventor\Fasteners > > > > Company Standards=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Company Standards > > > > Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items > > > > _Purchased Items=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Purchased Items - Children > > > > Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware > > > > _Standard Hardware=\\Dtiliv01\DRAWINGS\Inventor\Standard Hardware - Children > > > > > > > > > > > > TIA > > > > Rick > > > > > > -- > Hal Gwin > Mechanical Designer > Xenogen > > W2K SP4 > Dell Precision 650 > Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon > 1.5 GB DDR > Quadro4 900 XGL > nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update > Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Yes, you will run into resolve issues the first time you open files. After they are saved the first time everything should be fine in future openings. When you save and the dialog box appears, on the library parts, even though is says NO on the save, click it to say YES. This is a housekeeping save that IV requires and is not considered a part edit. RMD wrote: > I know... We had letter maps and now i'm trying to change to UNCs and am > running into the problems > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report