Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMates not behaving as described in the Help system

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Mcadae
289 Views, 2 Replies

iMates not behaving as described in the Help system

If a single iMate with a matching name is not found, the component is attached to the cursor and you can select a placement position.Correct me if I am mis-understanding but the help system states:

Automatically generate iMates on place to match iMates with the same name.

If a single iMate with a matching name is not found, the component is attached to the cursor and you can select a placement position.

To me that says that the names should match or you are manually placing the part.  

Try this:

1. Create a block with a hole in it, add an insert iMate and name the iMate TestA.

2.  Create a round 'peg', add an Insert iMate and name the iMate TestB.

3.  Create and assembly place the block then place the peg using the Automatically generate iMates on place option.

According to that statement since the two iMates have different names they shouldn't automatically go together but the part should stay attached to the cursor.  This is not the case for Autodesk Inventor 2012.  

Is it broke or am I misunderstanding something here.  

Another thing to try is create several holes in the block and place an iMate on each of the name.  Name some iMates TestA and others TestB  make sure that the first iMate places IS NOT named TestB.  

Place the Peg with the named TestB iMate and the part automatically constrains to the first iMate placed not the first not the first one named TestB.  Place another Peg and it will snap to the next iMate created.   I don't think this is correct behavior.  

I'm not sure if my signature will work because I just made it so forgive me if it shows up twice. 

Erik J. Kurek

MCADAE, ICE, MICE    

Manufacturing SME

Inventor 2012
Dell Precision WorkStation T3500

Bus Clock: 4800 megahertz

2.40 gigahertz Intel Xeon

4094 Megabytes Installed Memory

Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 

Erik J. Kurek
MCADAE, ICE, MICE
Manufacturing SME
Inventor 2013

8192 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sysh
in reply to: Mcadae

I think you missed one item which is below the description you saw in the Help system. That is, "

If an iMate with matching constraint type and value is found, the components are constrained together. Names and order are not considered".

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Mcadae
in reply to: sysh

Well if that is the case what would be the point of 'naming' iMates in the first place?

Erik J. Kurek
MCADAE, ICE, MICE
Manufacturing SME
Inventor 2013

8192 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report