Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMate, iPart and iAssembly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
arlania415
1021 Views, 4 Replies

iMate, iPart and iAssembly

Hi everyone,

I do know that iMate are not meant to span different levels in the part hierarchy. I am trying to find a work around.

The scenario is the following. I start with an ipart. It has various features, some active, some not, depending on the part number. I use that iPart in a sub assembly (along with some other piece which do not matter here). On that assembly, I need to define the imates for the features defined in the iPart. I need those imate to match all the active features for the part to be usable the next step up.

The method I tried was to use a fictitious piece with all the features active. I would define all the imates on the assembly with this one loaded. And, when I turn the assembly into an issembly, I would exclude the imates incompatible with the ipart used. (I also read some posts saying that the order mattered imate creation then issembly definition or vice versa, so I tried both with the same effect).

The problem comes when I generate the files for the iassembly. The imates being excluded are still computed, since teh features do not exist in the associated ipart, I get a nice string of atomic imate failures. I do not have the option to select suppress/compute for the imate like I have in the ipart dialogues. So where do I go from there?

To explain my point a bit further, I am joining a somewhat contrived example. I do know that this example could be solved by merging the ipart and iassembly in one step only. This is not possible in my real world case.

Thanks

Jacques

Inventor Professional 2011 SP2a

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: arlania415

Hi! Based on my understanding of how iMate, iPart, and iAssembly work, the workflow you are using will not work. And, the behavior you are seeing is a limitation in the workflow among the three. The iMate source geometry belongs to a subcomponent. When you switch from iAssembly member1 to member2, the subcomponent is replaced (table replace) with another iPart member (a different part). As a result, an error message is triggered to notify the user that the geometry associated with the iMate is gone due to component replacement.

I am sorry if I do not understand the problem properly. But, I do not quite understand the rationale of using iAssembly iMate reacting to change in geometry in subcomponent. Why couldn't you create the iMate at iPart level and place the iPart member in the target assembly?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
arlania415
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I think you understand the problem. The scenario would seem common in the case of any fixture point for a generic assembly, let's say a motor assembly for discussion's sake. If that assembly exists in several versions with 4 or 6 anchor point, the base part will be an ipart with 4 or 6 holes. The assembly adds the motor and all the rest, the is the iassembly. Now, this motor assembly needs to be placed in the final product and for that it needs to have imates accessible on the anchor points. Their number and positions will depends on the ipart used, but if they are defined on the ipart, they will not be visible on the iassembly. Does that make more sense?

Jacques

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: arlania415

Jacques,

Many thanks for providing the workflow information! It is a legitimate workflow. Unfortunately, I don't think Inventor iPart/iAssembly supports this particular workflow at the moment. The error message invoked by the workflow is also legitimate. Whether or not it should be displayed in this case is debatable. I need to forward it to development for further review.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
arlania415
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give a possible work around to this issue. That is only applicable to inventor 2011 and after I think since it involves ilogic. That also requires a series of scripts which make the final result fairly unclear as far as I am concerned. But just in case...

Jacques

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report