Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic update color of a derived part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RikVerhagen
1360 Views, 6 Replies

iLogic update color of a derived part

Hi,

I'm running an iLogic based model where I have a technical housing with 2 cover parts on top.

The first cover part is the basic part.

I use iLogic to assign a RAL-color to several parts in the assembly, also to that cover. The color is assigned to several features of the cover part.

The second cover part is almost identical to the first one.

So my first feature in the second cover part is a derived part of the 1st cover. I derived all the bodies.

Now here comes the problem.

When I'm in my assembly and I pick a RAL-color in my created customization form, the RAL-color only changes in the 1st cover part (the original), but it doesn't change in the second cover part, the derived body.

But....

when I manually open the 2nd cover part, and I right click on the derived feature and click on 'Edit Derived Part' ; the new color shows up immediately!

So, my question is if there is a rule for iLogic to update the color automatically?

Well, I hope I'm clear Smiley Indifferent

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tsreagan
in reply to: RikVerhagen

You have two things to look at here.

1.  you may want inventor update lines in your rule.

RuleParametersOutput()'Outputs parameters - use before updaters below if needed.
InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()'updates the document & view
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Update()'updates the view only

2. you may be coloring the component itself, and not the occurance of the component (whos rep may be different in the assembly than it is within the part)

Getting derived parts to manually update, requires editing the derive feature and playing with the checkbox in the shot below. If you still have problems, there may be an iLogic parameter releated to the check box, I am unsure.

derived comp color.jpg

T.S.

Message 3 of 7
pcrawley

Hi.  You don't mention which version of Inventor you are using, but the "Use color override from source component" has been a bit of an issue for a while - especially in 2013.  

I can't remember the exact history, but I think in R13 SP1 it got broken (or fixed depending on your point of view), causing the behaviour you are describing.  The "Being Invetive" blog published a registry fix - see http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/09/default-setting-for-the-option-use-color-o...

If you studied the "What's New" for Inventor 2014, you'll notice this behaviour has been addressed in the Derived part dialog box.  Once set, it remains set for life (or until you un-set it!).  The tickbox really belongs in the "Application Options" because there are so many other ways to derive parts - but that's an argument to be raised again in the next beta.

Peter

Peter
Message 4 of 7
RikVerhagen
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'm using Inventor Pro 2014.

The option "Use color override from source component" was already active; the update rule unfortunately doesn't make any difference.

To make it more clear, I added a screenshot of the case.

Message 5 of 7
tsreagan

Yeah,  you used to have to uncheck and recheck that box to get it to update.

I can't remember, if you do it once, wether it fixes it permanently for that part or not, I would try that and see.

I would search iLogic for the code item related to that box,  there may be a fix there somewhere.

T.S.

Message 6 of 7
RikVerhagen

Unfortunately, it doesn't work 😞

Maybe some other option....

Now I'm defining color to features in a multiple body part. Is it also posibile to assign color to a specific body in that part? Maybe that works better with the derived function?

Message 7 of 7
johnster100

Hi There,

Anyone get a fix for this?

I'm getting the same problem when I switch models between different language packs of Inventor.

thanks,

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report