Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic and VBA

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
emreywiley
4260 Views, 2 Replies

iLogic and VBA

I have been scouring the boards now for some time with various iLogic questions to which I have found solutions and code blocks that have been useful. This is very time consuming and I'm not really learning much about how the code works.

Long story short, I feel like I have a good understanding of Inventor and even understand the logic behind the iLogic language, but I still cannot seem to understand all of the syntax of VB. I understand parametric modeling and programming in general. Delcare variables, if->then statements, etc., but I am missing the Visual Basic puzzle piece.

My question is, if iLogic is based on VB (or VBA or VB.net,?), what is the best way to start to solve my own syntax illiteracy problem? Should I get a book that explains VB programming? If so, should it explain VB.net or VBA or VB? I don't even know the difference. I am familiar with C, Ch, Matlab and other basic programming languages, but I want to become more comfortable with iLogic, and I assume that means being comfortable with VB? Before I go waste $30 on a book, some one please point me in the right direction.

{I don't even know what kind of data types are available to me. I really want to make a rule that creates a Mutli-Value text parameter only if the parameter doesn't already exist, reads in data from an array in excel, and updates only when I open the file. I think I uderstand logically how to accomplish all of those things, I just am VB illiterate.}

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi emreywiley,

It sounds like you're looking to become familiar with Inventor's Application Programing Interface (API).

Here is a link with some information that should help:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/iLogic-Rule-for-idw-drawing/m-p/3126100#M410476

Note too that you can refer to the API Help Reference byusing  the flyouts shown in this image:

(Thanks to sbixler for the screen shot)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3
emreywiley
in reply to: emreywiley

Chris,

I have been to your blog many times in the past few weeks looking for exactly what you posted above.

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report