Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic, BOM - drop-down list for BOM in idw

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tedxzy
1194 Views, 5 Replies

iLogic, BOM - drop-down list for BOM in idw

Hi everyone,

Is there a way I can write some code, so that in idw, I can choose from two different text for "Description" in BOM table? My work place requires to show material information when it's a fabrication drawing, to show part description in assembly drawing in "Description" column.

At the moment, we just override material information (for example, 40x40x3 RHS) to part description (RHS Spreader). It's not very safe to do that. Most of the times, we just forget to change it.

Thank you,

Ted Xu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 SP1.1 64-Bit
Vista Business 64-Bit
E8400, 8GB, ATI FireGL V5600
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: tedxzy

Is the information available in the part?

Eg Desc1 & Desc2, or Description and perhaps Part Number

Either way, what you could do is make up 2 Parts List formats in the "Styles Editor" One for Fabrication and the other for Assembly.

Each Parts list style will reference the relevant data, (e.g. Desc1/Desc2) It will then be a matter of changing the Parts list style via the "Annotate; Format tab"

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 6
tedxzy
in reply to: rhasell

Hi Reg,

Thank you for your reply. Technically, you have answered my question.

Unfortunately, sometimes I also run into the situation that I have to show material information/section detail and part description in same BOM table. I am wondering, if I can override "Description" in BOM using iLogic. Anyone?

Thank you,

Ted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vista Business 64-Bit
Message 4 of 6
streharg

I also advise you to do what rhasell suggested. It's the easiest way. Then you can do simple ilogic rule to choose which type of partlist you want on the drawing.

Greg

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 5 of 6
tedxzy
in reply to: streharg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply. I still want to find a way to choose from two different "Description" in 2D "Parts List", if it's possible.

Maybe no one out there shows two different "Description" in different drawings. I will see what I can find. If I can not find a way to do this, I will try to convince my supervisor to change the system, so we will not have this problem.

Cheers,

Ted

Vista Business 64-Bit
Message 6 of 6
rhasell

Hi

You still have to capture and store that information somewhere. ilogic is going to retrieve that information and re-write/rebuild the Parts list. Becareful of having iLogic prompt you for a description, it becomes a manual process and something that can and will be overlooked.

Create intelligent fields in the part/assembly, (E.G. Description = <HEIGHT> x <WIDTH> X <LENGTH> RHS)  and send that information to as many parts list styles you wish to create.

Use iLogic to change the parts list style, NOT the information.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report