Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly parts lists best practices

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
enfiel3d
784 Views, 4 Replies

iAssembly parts lists best practices

Greetings!

I started to explore iAssemblies and I have some questions regarding best practices, parts lists in particular.

Right now I am a little confused about the possible workflows, when iAssembly contains iParts. I have no questions with modeling, but drawings are more difficult.

I find strange that different members of the same iPart inserted into iAssembly have different item numbers. I don't understand how really to create assembly drawing given that feature.

If the item numbers would be the same for each member, I would simply create assembly drawing with balloons and the aggregate parts list - that would work because each iPart member wold have had the same balloon number.

But given that each iPart member has unique item number, the confusion arises. I can create separate assembly drawing with its own set of balloons and own separate parts lists - which is not the easiest or fastest workflow. I can also create aggregate parts list, which lists all iPart members, but I still need separate assembly drawings, again because of the unique item numbers for each member.

Am I missing something here? I repeat, I only started to explore iAssemblies. 

I am very interested in learning best practice from experienced users who employ iAssembly drawings and parts lists in their real workflows.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: enfiel3d

No you are not missing anything.. Autodesk has half assed this functionality. I end up editing the bill of materials and making all the members have the same item number. Its annoying.  Here is a small example of how I think it should work too. (see attached)

This is a circuit board assembly with 2 iparts that change based on the iassy member. I would love it if the parts list looked like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

and here is what you can do if you edit the bill of materials and make the item numbers match for each ipart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr

This is how our parts list used to look in the autocad days.. I really like this too.

Message 5 of 5
enfiel3d

Well, it looks like Autodesk. They are very good at releasing half-baked features... unfortunately.

Looks like we need to start a motion to lobby improvements in the iAssembly parts lists. Anybody fancy to join?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report