Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to view *.stl

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
kmeldfreyssinet
3082 Views, 13 Replies

how to view *.stl

Hi,

I had saved my part as stl file to send it for 3D printing. I would like to verify how it dose look like in stl before sending but I can't find a way to open stl in inventor.

Is there any?

Cris

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi Cris,

What's version of Inventor you use ? (Inventor 2013 can open the .stl file)

You can also use "3D Print Preview" to check the stl file before sending it to 3D printing. (Refer to attached screenshot).

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

If you are not using 2013 - somewhere there is an add-in for importing the stl into Inventor.

When you save the file make sure you set the correct Units in Options as Inventor will default to cm.

I believe the free Hoops ACIS Viewer will also open stl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 14
bcrowell
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

I'm sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't find anything else closely enough related- I'm trying to find more information about Inventor's exporting to stl files and 3D printing.  Is there any error checking that happens when you use the 3D print preview?

I have had widely varying success with printing to a Makerbot Replicator 2- some pieces have worked brilliantly and others failed completely, and several stages in between.  There has been ghost information (it seems like) in the stl file at times because it tried to print information that wasn't in the file (in multiple copies, the same geometric information).

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Tags (2)
Message 5 of 14
jfmDaveT
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

That doesn't work on the new Autodesk Inventor 2017, I see it can do the conversion and the set of 3D printers used to convert, but don't seem to be able to open it 

Intel(R) Core(TM i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz, 64 bit OS, x64 processor 

RAM: 16.0 GB

Message 6 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: jfmDaveT

You have pulled up an ancient thread.

Simply to File>Open Files of type: *.stl.

It is as simple as that.

There are a lot of other ways of viewing stl files at this time.

The real question is - what do you want to do with this?Open stl.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 14
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: bcrowell

Hi bcrowell,

Does JD's method work for you? If still not work, can you send an example .stl file to me via Hongyuan.li@autodesk.com ? I will investigate it deeply.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 8 of 14
jfmDaveT
in reply to: JDMather

I tried uploading an image onto the model it can. I talked to a guy that knows about 3D printing, he says the detail is too small for it to print unless it possibly made  monochromatically or that the image has to be more like a symbol engraved 

Also uploading the file onto here is an issue as it does accept 3D printing formats 

Message 9 of 14
mcgyvr

@jfmDaveT wrote:

I tried uploading an image onto the model it can. I talked to a guy that knows about 3D printing, he says the detail is too small for it to print unless it possibly made  monochromatically or that the image has to be more like a symbol engraved 

Also uploading the file onto here is an issue as it does accept 3D printing formats 

If you want to upload a filetype here that isn't supported simply zip the file.. (In Windows you can just right click on it and send to--compressed folder..

Then upload that..

As to an image on a 3d file.. Its very possible that the detail is too small.. Are you aware of the resolutions you printer can do? Just think about the thickness of the string that it uses.. You can't have any details smaller than that (for the most part).. So yes an image would likely be too detailed to print..

Try to upload what you want again now that you know it can be zipped/uploaded..

But just like designing any part for any fabrication method (milling/stamping/additive/modling) you need to know the capabilities of the machine during the design..

There is this "buzzword" thats been going around for a while that just makes me mad.. "design for manufacturing (manufacturability)".. For the most part magazine articles,etc... about it show how an Engineer designed a part and then during the "design for manufacturability" meeting they redesigned the part to remove X or whatever.. What makes me mad about that is that IMO its the Engineers/Designers job from the start to produce a part that can be manufactured as "efficiently/cost effectively" as possible.. 

Waiting till its already designed then making sure it can actually be built is just stupid.. 

I'll put any new designer/Engineer out on the factory floor for weeks/months before they are allowed to "design" anything.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 14
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

Opening the stl files is not the issue.  

I was wondering if there was any error checking or check on printability when you ran the 3D print preview or if it just previewed the model with the printed layers visualized.  I have had several files that I have printed that seemed to have ghost information because they printed with errors that were consistent but not from geometry created in the model.  

@Anonymous wrote:

You have pulled up an ancient thread.

Simply to File>Open Files of type: *.stl.

It is as simple as that.

There are a lot of other ways of viewing stl files at this time.

The real question is - what do you want to do with this?Open stl.png

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 11 of 14
JDMather

thread title.png

Sorry, I was confused by the thread title. 

Perhaps you should start a new thread.

What version of Inventor are you using?

Can you attach *.ipt and *.stl that exhibits the behavior you describe.

I have not experimented with the new 3D Print tools in Inventor as my various printers have their own softwares for stl model checking.  This might be a good oppotunity to take a close look at the Inventor 3D Print tools.

Message 12 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Opening the stl files is not the issue.  

I was wondering if there was any error checking or check on printability when you ran the 3D print preview or if it just previewed the model with the printed layers visualized.    

Sure layer by layer preview is built into the software that comes with your makerbot.. 

And this is also available in Inventor.. When your part is ready simply go to "environments...3d print" then in there you can generate the stl file and also hit the "Print Studio" button.. Then in "Print Studio" there is a "preview" button which will generate the layers (after you set it up for your printer) and you can preview the layers there too.. You can even send the file right to your makerbot via Print Studio..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 13 of 14
jfmDaveT
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well I think that's the idea, but I think it should be done as a Lossy Compression, as read in wikipedia. I don't think compressing it as a compressed file works, since Inventor needs to read the file not as a folder, I don't know I haven't tried. But even then your right about of how the capability of the 3D printer should be considered, because of the detail. 

P.S I also posted it on quora Can inventor import images as lossy compression?

But I still don't know if it works this way

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

Why are you attempting to put an image file onto an stl file?

Can you zip and attach your image file and your stl file here?
And when you do attach your files - I recommend that you start a new thread as this thread is not related to your problem description.

I think you will get fast and accurate information on your problem right here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report