Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to save and import sketches from one file to another

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadvice
706 Views, 5 Replies

how to save and import sketches from one file to another

I just wanted to know if you could make sketches in one part or file,
somehow save it with a name, then open a new or existing part file and
import that saved sketch. Is there a way to do this? Also, can you
make blocks, as we could in AutoCAD, in Inventor?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: cadvice

>how to save and import sketches from one file to another
I just wanted to know if you could make sketches in one part or file,
somehow save it with a name, then open a new or existing part file and import that saved sketch. Is there a way to do this?

At least two ways.
1. RMB on the sketch in the browser in first file select Copy - then start a new file and RMB select Paste.
2. If the sketched is unconsumed in the first file (and you can always leave the sketch unconsumed by simply projecting the original to a new sketch and use that to create your features) then you can derive the original unconsumed sketch into another part. With this method if you make a change to the first it is updated in the derived (unless you break the link).
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

cadvice, You can "Derive in" a sketch from another part. 1) Create and save a part that contains the sketch you with to "copy" 2) Create a new part, exit sketch and select Derived Component 3) In the Derived Part dialog, you can select which sketches you would like to include 4) The sketches come in as reference geometry (and the best part is that it is associative). Best Regards, Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) "cadvice" wrote in message news:25978185.1085764597338.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I just wanted to know if you could make sketches in one part or file, > somehow save it with a name, then open a new or existing part file and > import that saved sketch. Is there a way to do this? Also, can you > make blocks, as we could in AutoCAD, in Inventor?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

You can derive a consumed sketch if you make it shared and keep it visible. "JDMATHER" wrote in message news:31227799.1085765146569.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > >how to save and import sketches from one file to another > I just wanted to know if you could make sketches in one part or file, > somehow save it with a name, then open a new or existing part file and import that saved sketch. Is there a way to do this? > > At least two ways. > 1. RMB on the sketch in the browser in first file select Copy - then start a new file and RMB select Paste. > 2. If the sketched is unconsumed in the first file (and you can always leave the sketch unconsumed by simply projecting the original to a new sketch and use that to create your features) then you can derive the original unconsumed sketch into another part. With this method if you make a change to the first it is updated in the derived (unless you break the link).
Message 5 of 6
ArtC

You can open a sketch and select any part of it > Rmb and select copy. Do not close first sketch. Go to a second sketch. and past the selected sketch parts into it. Now constrain the geometry as needed.
Message 6 of 6
a_sima

Hello,

I think the question was simple and it has common sense thing. You work and make sometime a sketch and you think: WOW this sketch I want use someday in the future, 5 minutes or 5 days/months, not important- first thing you think let''s save it!. That was the meaning of the question, Something what proe does since long long time ago!

Your "answers" are not answers, they want just to look as answers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report