Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hole pattern

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
petdem
2005 Views, 12 Replies

hole pattern

what method do i use to place random holes on the part file attached.how do i place the holes with the correct angle?I`m unsure on how to perform the task of placing the holes randomly around the part with correct angle.how can i do this please for 3mm holes?

Pete

2012 Edu

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
agpksrock3
in reply to: petdem

Not sure I understand what you are asking... can you try saying it a different way?

Message 3 of 13
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi petdem, 

You can use a work axis to define an intrsection point, and then use the point to create a hole, as described at this link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Extruding-or-making-holes-with-angles/m-p/3034486

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 13
petdem
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

sorry i did not explain very well.i reattached part with hole.how can i now scatter holes all over the ball region.maybe about 50 holes randomly scattered around the ball region of the part.thanxs

Pete

2012 edu

Message 5 of 13
petdem

Please how can I create this pattern

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

@petdem wrote:
Please how can I create this pattern

Are you looking for random or are you looling for pattern.

Also - your part isn't spherical, but it looks like maybe you intended for it to be spherical.
The R40 arc center point isn't on the axis of revolution.

If you are looking for a pattern - then curve driven pattern might give you a solution.
If you are looking for randum - there is no Easy Button, you will have to simply start creating pierce points (I didn't check Curtis' post but I assume that is what is demonstrated.

I suspect there might be a way to caculate random points on a sphere (if you had a sphere) and bring them in from an Excel spread sheet but I don't know what the equation would be.  If you find one and need help in getting holes from the points - post back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
petdem

Yes you are correct about th sphere .I have corrected but my computer is down .ALso the solution button was accidently hit as I am using my phone for this reply.Yes please help on the points and excel would be great.ALso help on curve driven pattern is also new for me.I hope my computer will be up and running again soon.please keep in touch so I can learn these 2 new concepts

Message 8 of 13
petdem

The corrected file is attached.I will look to use patterns A sample picture is attached.My problem is how will i get the holes at the correct angle as i move the pattern of holes towards the ends of the sphere.The number of holes also decreases as the pattern moves towards the ends of the sphere

inventor 2012 file attached and a picture of the hole patterns i need to model

Pete

Message 9 of 13
petdem

OK,i attempted to add the holes using the circular pattern and mirror features.I was not very successful in getting the holes in the correct angle through the sphere.I need some help on how to do the following

1. how do i get the holes at the correct angle going through the sphere

2. how to have even spaces between each circular pattern feature as i move towards the top of the sphere

I`m sure one of you much more experienced users would have a better way of performing this then the way i created the holes.

I have attached my quick example anyway

Pete

Message 10 of 13
mrattray

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 13
dan_inv09
in reply to: JDMather

I was looking for something else and came across this, so excuse me if this seems a little late.

From the picture included later, the pattern is not random (and the part is not quite spherical, but that's a whole other kettle of fish - although it might be very relevant if you were actually manufacturing these). So anyway I came up with something that I think approximates the part in the picture.

But why I really wanted to respond to this, as I was trying to make a regular pattern around a sphere it suddenly hit me - Buckminster Fuller!

Now I have seen a jpeg of a soccerball made in inventor so I know it can be done - but can it be done easily? What would be the ways to make a.) a soccer ball, and b.) "equally" (vertices and centers, or one or the other?) spaced holes around a sphere in Inventor? (If it's something where you go "Aha!" but if it's going to take a ton of complicated construction then I'll just muddle on my own through it when I have time to play.)

Message 12 of 13

Hi dan_inv09,

Thom Tremblay has a nice video that falls in line with this idea:

http://youtu.be/xKrz88P2XMs

Autodesk Inventor Dodecahedron.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: dan_inv09

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/parabolic-reflector/td-p/2976844

Post 13 has a link to the football inventor files if these are of help.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report