Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with a file I mistakenly locked as transparent

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
fpsfpm
795 Views, 7 Replies

help with a file I mistakenly locked as transparent

I feel dumb asking this but I couldn't find an answer searching the group.

Yesterday I somehow set a file I was working in as transparent and cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn it off.

The weirdiest thing is that I can't override the transparency when used in an assembly either.

Anyways, I have tried changing color styles and materials without any luck.

If someone could take a look at the attached I'd appreciate it.

--Don

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cwhetten
in reply to: fpsfpm

I'm stumped.  I tried everything I could think of, and nothing seemed to fix it.  Maybe the file just got corrupted somehow.

Message 3 of 8
fpsfpm

Thanks for trying.

I worked with our reseller on this too and it appears more of a corruption with the solid.

Creating a new solid within the file behaves as expected.

The only work around we found was to join the existing solid with a new one and then delete the new solid.  That somehow resets the solid.

I should add that the extrusion was fine and I had done a lot of work using ifeatures.  What I posted was the base extrusion without all of my design info.  Our reseller thought that one of the ifeatures might have caused the base solid color & materials to be overridden.

This was the first time it ever happened and we decided it wasn't worth pursuing farther.

Thanks again for looking at it.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

Why are you using zero dimensions rather than simply coincident constraint to Origin Center Point (which Inventor will do for you)?

Why are you creating datum point rather than using Origin Center Point?

Origin.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
inventor_man
in reply to: JDMather

Sometimes if you know that you might have to move your sketch its better to constrain it with 0 dimension (and change it to different number when needed) istead of playing around later with removing constrains which usually is a pain.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: inventor_man

I am interested in the OP's reasoning.
The part was started in an earlier version and now acting strangly.

Sometimes I learn something useful from unconventional workflows when they go wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
fpsfpm
in reply to: JDMather

Well, that's a great question about the datum point.

When we originally started using Inventor we decided to use the datum point to "show" us where we were expecting to datum off of when we did our layouts for our customer and manufacturing prints.

So it only serves as a visual marker on the model to relate to print dimensioning datum.

As to why the zero dimensions were used, I expect that the person who created the original ipt didn't know how to use constraints.

Hope that answers your question.

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@fpsfpm wrote:

Well, that's a great question about the datum point.

When we originally started using Inventor we decided to use the datum point to "show" us where we were expecting to datum off of when we did our layouts for our customer and manufacturing prints.

So it only serves as a visual marker on the model to relate to print dimensioning datum.

The origin point and workplanes cannot be deleted - they are true datums (data?), your user workpoint can be deleted.

Not sure what happened to your color setting, but as this is a migrated file created by someone using unconventional techniques... .... who knows what happened somewhere along the way.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report