Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help my space navigator has a skin decease....... serious!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
~master
2464 Views, 11 Replies

help my space navigator has a skin decease....... serious!

I was hoping to hear from you all how well your 3Dconnexion device is lasting.

Mine still works but the black rubber material on the knob is shedding.  It is disgusting to touch as it feels sticky and greasy.

Anyone else seen this?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: ~master
Message 3 of 12
jtylerbc
in reply to: cbenner

Yes, normal.  Most of the engineers at my previous company had them, and almost all of them were doing the same thing after a year or so.

Message 4 of 12
SBix26

That's true for just one of our Spaceball 4000s, but has not happened to any of the Explorers or Navigators that I know of.

Message 5 of 12
~master

I am beginning to understand why 3Dconnexion is sort of ignoring this.  They know.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: SBix26

We have 25 Navigators and 25 Spaceballs.
Only see this problem on a couple of them.
Sounds like 3DConnexion (or vendor) had a manufacturing issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 12
jtylerbc
in reply to: JDMather

JD, how old are the units you're talking about?  Of the ones my company had, mine was the oldest (by at least 6 months - it was a sample provided by our vendor when we first started using Inventor), and was by far the most heavily used.  Yet it was one of only a couple I remember that weren't peeling, and the other was one that was mostly used by a part-time intern. 

I always suspected they had done some sort of "cost reduction" change that caused the issue, between the time mine was bought and when we purchased the ones for everyone else.

Message 8 of 12
~master
in reply to: jtylerbc

Mine is about 3 years old. It has been like this for at least 8 months.

Message 9 of 12
jtylerbc

@~master wrote:

Mine is about 3 years old. It has been like this for at least 8 months.

That seems about right for the purchase timing for the ones we had that peeled.  If so, you actually did better than us - ours bought around that time were peeling in less than a year. 

Message 10 of 12
cbenner

Mine is just about 4(?) years old now, Space Explorer... and the peeling occurrred within the first year or so.  Most of the rubber is gone now, the plate where my palm rests was first to go.

IMG_0028.JPG

Message 11 of 12
~master
in reply to: jtylerbc

I am not using it on a day to day basis.

Message 12 of 12
DVDM

My 3 y/o space navigator started just a month ago, after I had put it in bag to take it somewhere. It rubbed a bit during transport, which broke that thin skin in a couple spots. Now as I'm using it the peeling is accelerating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report