Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

formats

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
331 Views, 3 Replies

formats

Heys guys,

Just chasing some advice.

Its probably a stupid question but i'm self taught and still learning alot.

I've got a heap of parts(3D) drawn up that are about to be CNC machined up.

The place doing the machining uses Matzak CNC machines that need to have the dimensons manually entered into the machine.

What is the easiest way to turn my parts into plans with all desired dimensions that i can print out and give to the machinist?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Anonymous

Just create a new drawing file (idw) then place a base view, project an orthogonal view or two, then start adding dimensions until the machinist has enough information to code in the part. You can also export these views as dwg or dxf if they can use the electronic copies on their own machines. Maybe go to the getting started tab -> tutorials and then go through some of the drawing tutorials.
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Inv_kaos

No worries, I'll give that a go. Thanks very much
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

The place doing the machining uses Matzak CNC machines that need to have the dimensons manually entered into the machine.

This isn't your problem - but that isn't an efficient method of using these Mazak CNC machines.
The machines should be running - turning out products, not sitting idle while someone punches in code.

The g-code should be created off-line from your model using a CAM software like MasterCAM or similar.

But even if they were generating their CNC code this way, you should still supply fully dimensioned drawings (unless it is really organic shapes, in which case punching in code wouldn't be possible anyhow) to be sure you get the geometry you want.  There is always a trade-off on expense on tolerances/critical dimensions that must be considered.  This information is given on the 2D documentation (today, the future should see full digital product definition on the 3D model).

The shop will probably want dwg 2D rather than idw or they will want paper prints.  (check to see if they have Inventor or if they have AutoCAD or some other CAD software or work only from paper prints). 
Give them dwg or dxf of the 3D model as well as the 2D documentation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report