Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing hole features

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
eswan
527 Views, 21 Replies

editing hole features

when adding a new point in an existing sketch for another hole i have no problems. when I go into the existing hole feature to add the new hole. the points are not there to add the new holes. It has not always been like this, and it has seem to just started doing this. how can this be fixed,

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
andrewiv
in reply to: eswan

What version are you using?  I don't seem to have this problem in IV2011.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 22
eswan
in reply to: andrewiv

We are using inv2011. this has just started recently. Im not sure when our last updates have been installed. Im not sure how i can find that out either. Thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

@eswan wrote:

how can this be fixed,

from the information you provided...it can't! Smiley Wink

what version of Inventor? It looks like you posted while I was typing.

what service pack?

can you post a file that exhibits this behavior?

can you post a screen shot?

as far as you know is this issue specific to your machine, or have you confirmed that files demonstrating this issue do so on any computer?

just as a trouble shooting step, if you go to:

icon_appmenu.pngac.menuaro.gifOptionsac.menuaro.gifHardware tab

and set it to Software graphics do you still see the issue?

If so it's likely a graphics card issue and you'll probably want to update drivers, etc. If the issue persists using the software graphics it's an indication that it is not a graphics issue.

(don't forget to set this setting back after testing otherwise Inventor will run slow.)

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

@eswan wrote:

Im not sure when our last updates have been installed. Im not sure how i can find that out either.

clcik the Help (question mark icon) button in the top left of the screen,

choose About Inventor...

click the Product Information button

Message 6 of 22
eswan
in reply to: Anonymous

64-bit edition inv2011. build 239, release; 2011 rtm - date 02/17/2010

it certianly doesn't look like we've updated in a while.

so you think its a driver issue. That may have been updeted recently. is there a way i can check that as well?

Message 7 of 22
andrewiv

The first thing I would do is install service pack 1 and hotfixes.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

Are you sure that the hole was placed from a sketch?

There are other methods of placing a hole on a part.

Mike

Message 9 of 22
eswan

i just opened the part file that i was trying to edit and had no problems. when trying to edit that part in the assembly is when it would not let me click the new points for that feature.

Message 10 of 22
eswan

yeah, im pretty sure i know how to put a hole feature on a part. its seems the issue is when im in an assembly. opened file and edited feature in part file works fine.

Message 11 of 22
andrewiv

I just tried to edit a part in an assembly and it lets me choose new points for holes.  Could you post a screenshot of the problem?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 12 of 22
eswan

here is the print screen of my issue.

Message 13 of 22
andrewiv

What happens if you put a sketch point on that spot rather than just using the endpoint of the line?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 14 of 22
eswan

same thing. wont let me add the hole in the feature.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Did you investigate the possibility that this is a grahpics glitch occuring on just that machine yet?

as far as you know is this issue specific to your machine, or have you confirmed that files demonstrating this issue do so on any computer?

just as a trouble shooting step, if you go to:

icon_appmenu.pngac.menuaro.gifOptionsac.menuaro.gifHardware tab

and set it to Software graphics do you still see the issue?

If so it's likely a graphics card issue and you'll probably want to update drivers, etc. If the issue persists using the software graphics it's an indication that it is not a graphics issue.

(don't forget to set this setting back after testing otherwise Inventor will run slow.)

Message 16 of 22
eswan

I have tried on a different computor and it has the same issue. I also just tried the sofeware graphics thing. still, the same issue. Like I've said earlier, if I just open the part file and edit it that way. I have no issues. It's only when I edit a part in an assembly file. which I should be able to do. I've been able to do it that way in the past.

Message 17 of 22
andrewiv

Could you post a sample of what you are seeing?  Try putting the part into a new assembly and see if it behaves the same.  If it does post the part and assembly files so that we can take a look.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 18 of 22
JDMather

@eswan wrote:

... its seems the issue is when im in an assembly. opened file and edited feature in part file works fine.

Inconclusive from your pictures, but the obvious question is the point at the assembly level or is it at the part level.

The first step in any problem like this it to create a simple experimental dataset and see if you can reproduce the issue.
Attach the example here to see if others can reproduce the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 19 of 22
karthur1

I know there was a problem with 2011 not activating the sketch when you tried to edit a hole feature.  I think that was fixed in SP1 though.  If you turn on the visibility of the sketch before you edit the feature, does it work then?

Message 20 of 22
eswan
in reply to: karthur1

It does work when I make the sketch visible in the assembly. thanks for that.

I have attached the necessary file to see if anyone can repeat the problem in having. The part file in the assembly is "sce-243008lp-ls". the feature is "hole 2".

I also want to thank everyone for there in put today.

Thanks

Ed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report