Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

easily changing source file locations

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
JimSteinmeyer
328 Views, 1 Reply

easily changing source file locations

I have a unique challange. I use my personal laptop for my CAD work at work. We are now setup with Vault 2012 and Inventor 2012 and we are setup to pull our Templates, standard files and content center parts from the vault. I have become so busy that I would like to do some of my work at home on evenings and weekends. Other than the obvious problems of having no life and working for nothing, I am having the problem of not being able to access templates or CC parts at home. I can store the CC and templates on my C drive but am not sure where to set Inventor to point to the files on my drive or if there is an easy to do so depending on where I am.

Thank you

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

There are a few ways you could handle this. The simplest would be to leverage some technology to allow you to VPN into the work network or otherwise connect to the Vault Server from home.

The second (more low tech) option would be to use a different project file at home, such as default. You’d need to install Desktop Content on your machine, and copy all the Design Data files as well as your company templates local, and point the new “home” project to those locations.

The only thing you cannot control in the project is how Inventor is configured to use Content Center. You will need to be change the Vault Content to Desktop Content in Tools>Application Options>Content Center. Other than that, just switch your project.

The one thing that may complicate this is of your company keeps the Content Center files (the actual .ipt files) on a server. If they do then any assemblies you open would have file resolution issues as that location is not available. You’d also need to move any Content that gets created locally to this central repository.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report