Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dxf and dwg icons, perhaps you guys can help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chad38
831 Views, 3 Replies

dxf and dwg icons, perhaps you guys can help.

I posted this in the AutoCad mechanical forum, but I had zero attention or possible solutions to it. So I'll repost it here because you guys seem to be pretty on the ball.

"Just a little bit ago, out of nowhere, it seems the default opening program for dxf files suddenly changed. I noticed when I double clicked to open a dxf file, it opened up "DWG TrueView" instead of AutoCad Mechanical like it was. So I changed it back to the way it was. Now, since doing this, the file icons for dwg's and dxf's are exactly the same. Before they were different. I know this sounds like it's not a big deal, but for me it is very annoying, because for years I've been able to easily tell the difference between the two without looking at the file extension. Anybody know how to help me out? Please?"

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: chad38

Sounds like you might have a registry/permissions issue..

What if you log on as a different user (possibly an administrator account)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
chad38
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well, I am an administrator. Not sure if I can get someone else to allow me to log in however under their user account. I had a response in the autocad mechanical forum, one guy believes I may need to set Autocad DWG launcher as my default, however I cannot seem to figure out the filepath to Autocad DWG launcher, which is frustrating considering it is set as my default for dwg files. Anybody perhaps know the path to this program?

BTW, I'm with you on the PMI. Hurry it up.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: chad38

Have you tried a repair install on acad mech? That "might" reassociate the extensions properly.. Typically the last program added "can" steal that association

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report