Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dwg Revision

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
todd_cannon
542 Views, 4 Replies

.dwg Revision

I am trying to get a grasp on IV drawings and one thing that troubles me is that when a .dwg needs revising, it seems that the only way to update an existing drawing is to delete the old part and add the revised part. Why is there no "replace component" option as there is in the assembly enviornment? What is the correct work flow? I don't use vault so, all file management is done manually. For instance, "part rev a.ipt" is modified and renamed "part rev b.ipt". Then "part rev a.dwg" is copied and renamed "part rev b.dwg". On the rev b drawing, do I really have to delete the primary view of "part rev a.ipt" and replace it with the "part rev b.ipt" model? Seems counter productive to me. Do the links to the bom have to be re-established once the new part is on the drawing? I'm looking for a best practice here so, let me hear how everyone else deals with this. BTW I'm on IV 2010 for the moment, hoping to update to IV 2011 very soon.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: todd_cannon

Hi! On R2012 and R2011 (with Subscription Advantage Pack), you can change the model source files (ipt/iam/ipn).

On R2010 or earlier, you will have to force it. You will need to either relocate or rename the model source files. Then open the drawing. Inventor will prompt you to find the source file. There, you can select a new model source file.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
todd_cannon
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I could use the force technique you describe but, I am hoping that we will soon see our upgrade to R2011. Now I only have to convince the powers that be (IT) to include the Subscription Advantage Pack in their push.

Message 4 of 5

Hi todd.cannon,

Just a quick correction to what johnsonshiue typed:

With Inventor 2011and 2012 you can point drawig files to different models by going to the Manage tab and using the Replace Model Reference button. With Inventor 2010 you can do the same thing, if you have the subscription advantage pack installed.

johnsonshiue was just one version off is all. So it might be worth installing the subscription advantage pack for Inventor 2010 if you have it now.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 5 of 5

The way I see it, based on the historical facts, the Subscription Advantage Pack contains the functions that SHOULD ALREADY BE INCLUDED IN the main program, b/c they constitute functions that we use daily as a matter of standard modeling/drafting routine. ADVANTAGE PACKS typically include functions SPECIFIC TO PARTICULAR DISCIPLINES ONLY, which is how it's been in this industry since I started back in the late 80's.

Who can tell me where I can get the subscription advantage pack without paying the EXTORTION FEE, that's never helped me at any time in the past when I used to subscribe to it?

Thanks ... Chris

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report