Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dwf's of 2d prints look like crap crayola line quality

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ferrisb
1425 Views, 9 Replies

dwf's of 2d prints look like crap crayola line quality

Actually we use the industry standard to describe how these things look, but didn't think I could post that particular word...

Looks bad on the .jpg, looks worse on a projector in a room full of engineers : )

Does anyone know how to fix this for dwf's.

Changing rez and or plot size, save as vs. plot doesn't seem to do anything.

Pretty big issue in my mind.   I found some posts from a few years back and would hope this is fixed by now.

Using INV 2009.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ferrisb

Do you mind posting the Inventor files here or send them to me? I would like to take a look and try it out on my side.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
ferrisb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks ever so much for the response.

Been trying to get upgraded to 2012 software and problems like this are not helping the cause for the 50k po that we would need to upgrade everyone.

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a deeper look at this behavior. I think I might understand the issue a little better now. The issue here is how line weight is represented in CAD-Free format like DWF or PDF and CAD format like Inventor files. In CAD-Free format, the goal is to give the viewer true WYSWYG (what you see is what you get) experience. This means a line will look in computer screen in the same way as if it was printed on paper: the line weight is fixed and the closer you look and the thicker it becomes.

In CAD system, the software adjust the line weight according to the zoom factor to avoid the comical  representation you mention here. It is to avoid the cluttering of lines when a designer looks closely to the lines. But, in theory, what you see in CAD is not really what you will get on paper.

I am not saying CAD-Free format cannot have the same behavior like in CAD. But, the goal is different. The requirement of WYSWYG results in the behavior you are seeing unfortunately.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
Ray_Feiler

Try setting your line weight to it's lowest value. It will not fix your problem but it might look better.

Line Weight.JPG

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 6 of 10
ferrisb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, I was affraid of something like that.

Really is a shame because it reflects poorly on the Inventor product line when the dwf used at a presentation has poor quality.

I hope they do not decide to stick with dwgs, I prefer working in idw's.

Is there another recomendation for presenting my idw's clearly with 3d models at presentations?

My pdfs look fine, but I don't want to have to have a dwg, pdf and dwf for each drawing.

I don't want everyone, anyone really to have access to the idw or iam, but they must see the design intent clearly.

Main goal from Drafting 101 is to clearly and accuratly convey ideas from on party to another, at least that's what I was taught.

Should be an easier way to do this.

If not please keep at it so I can get my company to keep buying new software!

Message 7 of 10
ferrisb
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Did not do the trick, but good suggestion!

Message 8 of 10
krystianwiatr
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

@Anonymous wrote:

Try setting your line weight to it's lowest value. It will not fix your problem but it might look better.

Line Weight.JPG

I had similar problem with published dwf's and changing line thicknesses in Layer setting worked for me. Important part was to change edges that are set as your default or standard. I had multiple standards in my library. I also had problem with quality/resolution of shaded views in dwf and inventor. To fix that you need to go to tools->document setting->drawing and change shaded views/use bitmap to offline only. Results are not as good in dwf as in idw, but the difference is huge.

Win7 64-bit Intel i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2016
Message 9 of 10

attached are files of before and after..

I changed visible edges line thickness from .014" to .002" on layer settings

Win7 64-bit Intel i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2016
Message 10 of 10
petestrycharske

All,

I know there have been several threads on this topic and I wanted to bring this one to life versus start a new one.  I am working with a client who wants to have the AutoCAD generated quality DWF, but for use with Inventor published DWF.  To explain, when a DWF is published / exported from AutoCAD, as I zoom in, the line weight stays exactly the same.  However, even if I alter the line weights down in Inventor, as I zoom in on an Inventor generated DWF the lines thicken.

So far, I have tried to publish with DWF tool in Inventor, but don't see any options that govern lineweight.  Also, I downloaded a tool called "DWF Writer" from the Autodesk website and even though I checked the box for "Remove object line weights" when I printed to DWF, it didn't make a difference with the zoom in factor.

The only successful method I have used is to create an Inventor DWG version drawing, open that drawing in AutoCAD and then export to DWF from AutoCAD.  Then the behavior worked as desired, with no line thickening when zooming in.  The problem is, my client uses the IDW format and so this would require the extra step of converting and creating more files.  I could approach them with this solution, but I feel that Inventor should be able to produce the same type of output...

Is exporting the drawing from AutoCAD the only way to produce a 0 line weight drawing from Inventor to DWF?  A different method or tool would be greatly appreciated.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report