Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double curves on sheet metal part

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
terje.antonsen
1111 Views, 3 Replies

double curves on sheet metal part

Hi,

The part in the attachment was made in catia. The main face is curved in two directions. In my language we call this a "double curved surface" this is possible to generate a flat pattern from in catia. Anyone been able to do this in inventor? Or have ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: terje.antonsen

No.

You would need some add-in like AutoPOL (not an endorsment - I have never actually used this product).

You should be able to get a trial version of any add-in you might find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

If you look on AutoPOL's website for thier unfolder tool you'll see that it actually doesn't support double curved surfaces.

From their FAQ:

- Can I unfold formed parts, for example a sphere?

No, a sphere is a typical example of a double-curved part. No double curved features can be unfolded.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 4
terje.antonsen
in reply to: mrattray

I actually found 3 potential candidate add-ins for unfolding double curves yesterday.

I tried one from solid3dtech http://solid3dtech.com/

It seems to do what I want, it unfolds some pretty crazy dummys I tested with, and gives a sketch that can be exported for lasercutting (with many polylines.)

unfortunately, I am unable to check the accuracy of this one, as I can't see any spec for "accepted misaligment" .

Others I requested trials of were "spi gmbh", a german site with address".de" .

and one at www.forming.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report