Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difficult part

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jasonraul
728 Views, 9 Replies

difficult part

Please see 2013 part attached.How do i create the same pattern on the other side so the part looks the same if you view it from top or bottom.The other side needs 14 sections in the gaps following the same pattern......I`m sure there is a much better way to create this part than the way  i did but honestly i do not know how..To me it is difficult part...EOP ..

Best Regards

Jason

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: jasonraul

I can't tell from your description what you want to accomplish.  Can you post a picture, or more detailed description?

Message 3 of 10
jasonraul
in reply to: SBix26

please see picture attached

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
SBix26

You're right, this is a difficult part.  The biggest difficulty is defining what you want the final result to look like.  If you look at your part from the top, you'll notice that each bend has a larger radius on the outside of the bend and a smaller radius on the inside-- perfectly normal and natural.  But you're wanting to fill each gap with the same kind of shape, following the same bends, this shape will have the small radius on the outside of the bend and the large radius on the inside, a near impossibility to model, let alone to manufacture.  I think the only possibility to make something like this is to miter each zig/zag instead of curve it.

Message 5 of 10
conklinjm
in reply to: SBix26

Not 100% sure that this is what you require ... but here is one way that it might be done.

HTH

Message 6 of 10
blair

That's how I would do it, model one cycle of the wave and pattern the rest.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 10
-niels-

Does this come close to what you're after?

The shape doesn't make a really nice seam, so you might have to do some adjustments...

I decreased the pattern amount because of the filesize, but you can just change that back to what it was.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 10
jasonraul

Thanks for examples.....The part looks like it was pressed when made.....it looks like it would be difficult to model in Inventor...i keep thinking/trying and post back

Jason

Message 9 of 10
SBix26

Have a look at this one-- closer to what you had in mind?  The key to overcoming the difficulty I mentioned in my previous post is to change the sweep orientation from Path to Parallel.  However, this doesn't maintain a consistent cross section, but I don't see how you could maintain a constant thickness of material and accomplish the reversed ripple pattern without compromising on the cross section.

A completely different method to achieve this would be to start with a solid block and carve away the parts you don't want.  This might offer more control of cross section, and wouldn't need any Shell features.

(In case anyone doesn't know, I've saved the part with the End Of Part marker pulled to the top to save on file size, but this makes the file appear empty; just pull the EOP marker back to the bottom of the browser to rebuild the part).

Message 10 of 10
jasonraul

Hi Sam

Thanks.I will have a look tonight when i get back home at your file.I was thinking along those lines of a solid block

Thanks

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report