Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

derived part flat pattern or multi flat patter in one part

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadman777
583 Views, 5 Replies

derived part flat pattern or multi flat patter in one part

I can't find a way to create multi flat patters in one part from a lofted sheetmetal part.
Anybody know if this is possible, and if so, how?
Also, didn't the developers fix the 'can't make a flat pattern from a derived part'?
If they did, can someone please tell me what the 'trick' is?
Thanks ... Chris
... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: cadman777

>Also, didn't the developers fix the 'can't make a flat pattern from a derived part'?

Works fine here (in fact I can't remember a time when it didn't). Attach your file here. Most common problem is beginners tend to forget to set thickness standard in the derived. Second most common problem beginners tend to derive from parts that didn't have proper bending zone to begin with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
cadman777

JD,
Thanks for that beginner's tip (set thickness standard correctly).
Worked like a charm! (Too bad I couldn't find that in the help file!)
I'm sure there's a lot of beginner's tips I still need.
Have you written a concise and simple book I can buy that has all the beginner's tips for all the IV modules?
I'm sure all the mechanical engineers who use IV (who haven't taken certified training) would love to get a copy of that book. I know I sure would!
Tell me how to order your book.
Cheers ... Chris
... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

>Tell me how to order your book.

Near as I can tell it doesn't pay well to write a book. So all I have is some disjointed notes.

You might check here
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

and

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

and a ton of stuff is now available in the free online classes here http://au.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
cadman777

JD,
Thanks!
I remember reading through your 'in 90 minutes' booklet.
It was very good ... lots to remember.
Good thing I do about 80% of that stuff already.
Some good tips I need to regularly review until they all stick.
Also, I briefly looked at that web site too, but taking a close look got pushed aside by 'the daily urgent'.
Maybe you should put all this in a book form or on a CD and sell for a small fee?
I bet it will be good compared to the stuff that's inches thick that nobody has time to use.
A well thought-out quick reference for categorical thinkers is the best thing for busy mechanical people.
Cheers ... Chris
... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 6
thedelee

I occasionally create a skeleton, and derive seperate sheet metal parts from different sides of it due to sheet size availability. For some reason IV 2013 keeps changing the thickness of the parts to be the same as the skeleton, even though some of the items need to be different a thickness one to another. Frustarting to say the least.

Especially happens when the "skeleton" is actually just another sheet metal part itself. Works only if using manual type in on the Thickness parameter. I am also using SPI , for bend parameters, so n0ot sure if that affects it, and if so, how to get thousands of parts not to break if I need to cut SPI loose.

Ugh, Thanks for listening, Thad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report