Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a sketch in an assembly which adapts to the positional representation?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
barnadaniel
373 Views, 4 Replies

creating a sketch in an assembly which adapts to the positional representation?

Hello,

I have an assembly with different positional representations. I would like to create a sketch that has projected entities, and which is adapting itself with the actual positional representation of the assembly. Is this somehow possible?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barnadaniel
in reply to: barnadaniel

one possible workaround is to make a part file derived from this assembly (in this step you can specify the positional representation - or change it later), and create a sketch within this part file. It will adapt itself when you change the positional representation that it was derived from. It would be easier to avoid an extra file for this task.

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior you are seeing right now is considered a limitation in Inventor. Basically, PosRep does not trigger any event leading to change in component geometry. As a result, the sketch does not seem to follow the source edges when a non-Master PosRep is active.

Could you tell me why you would like to project the edge to an assembly sketch while the part is in non-Master PosRep? I would like to understand the workflow better and maybe provide some options if they do exist.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
barnadaniel
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I need to measure the length of a continuous line consisting of arcs and straight segments, which follows the actual layout of the assembly. I planned to create this line in a sketch.

Daniel

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Thanks for the specifics! In this case, I think the alternative workflow you have found might be the best bet. Another way is to insert the assembly as a subassembly in another assembly. Then project the edge to a sketch in the new assembly. Next, activate the non-Master PosRep in subassembly manually. Could you try it and see if it works for your purpose?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report