Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create parameters using parameters

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nstalker
226 Views, 4 Replies

create parameters using parameters

Is it possible to create paramaters using parameters?  For example, if I have a user parameter called "Number of parts".  If the user enters 4 can Inventor then create (4) sets of the following parameters:

Part 1 Length

Part 1 Width

Part 1 Height

Part 2 Length/W/H etc all the way up to Part 4.

Can I use iLogic to create parameters based on a single user parameter?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mario428
in reply to: nstalker

Couple of thoughts

"4 Parts" usually means 4 of the same part unless you have a way of explaining how the parts are different.

The length, width and height is very easy to build into a template

Message 3 of 5
nstalker
in reply to: Mario428

If there were 4 parts, for example, I would like the following parameters generated:

Part 1 Length

Part 1 Width

Part 1 Height

Part 1 Quantity

Part 2 Length

Part 2 Width

Part 2 Height

Part 2 Quantity

Part 3 Length

Part 3 Width

Part 3 Height

Part 3 Quantity

Part 4 Length

Part 4 Width

Part 4 Height

Part 4 Quantity

If there are 2 parts then I want half of those parameters.  I'm not referring to an Inventor part.  I'm referring to "part" generically; the word "part" could be replaced with the word "item".

Message 4 of 5
Mario428
in reply to: nstalker

@nstalker wrote:

If there were 4 parts, for example, I would like the following parameters generated:

Part 1 Length

Part 1 Width

Part 1 Height

Part 1 Quantity

Part 2 Length

Part 2 Width

Part 2 Height

Part 2 Quantity

Part 3 Length

Part 3 Width

Part 3 Height

Part 3 Quantity

Part 4 Length

Part 4 Width

Part 4 Height

Part 4 Quantity

If there are 2 parts then I want half of those parameters.  I'm not referring to an Inventor part.  I'm referring to "part" generically; the word "part" could be replaced with the word "item".

You edit a .ipt template to give you length, width and height, BOM will count the parts for you

Message 5 of 5
nstalker
in reply to: Mario428

thanks for your response!  I don't want to use an assembly.  The application I'm looking to solve would be a roller rack design.  I don't even need to show the parts on the rack.  I just need to size the rack.  So if I enter 3 parts, for example I only need to provide dimensional sizes for 3 boxes.  Then I will have ilogic and parameters create the required number and size of lanes for those parts.

If, however there are 16 or 48 lanes, then I would like ilogic to create the necessary parameters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report