Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cost to 3d print something like this from inventor

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
slphantom
964 Views, 15 Replies

cost to 3d print something like this from inventor

Just wondering how much something like this attached storage block would cost to 3d print? I have attached an inventor 2014 ipt file of it. Just looking for a rough estimate for like cost of media and such. We are looking for a reason for our company to purchase a 3d printer. we build details like this all the time by purchasing HDPE OR UMHW and machining it. just wondering if it would be cheaper to 3d print it.

thanks.

Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: slphantom

IMO.. $150-200 each..

Its easily going to be cheaper to machine it.

for just a few parts if you want to outsource these guts are great..

http://www.protolabs.com/firstcut

Not sure if you have ever had a 3d printed part made before but its not going to be as strong/durable as a machine part.

Now there are other technologies like FDM/SLA/SLS that will be better but in NO way will a simple part like that be cheaper to 3d print whatever technology you go with. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 16
JDMather

If you are looking to justify the cost of purchasing a 3D printer (rather than outsourcing the print to a service) I really like this technology because you can very quickly go through iterations without having engage outside vendors, inside machinists....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 16
slphantom
in reply to: JDMather

well, we are an OEM and we design and manufacture gaging machines and fixtures for the auto companies. So everything we do is pretty much a prototype. not sure we would get the use out of a 3d printer but us designers really want to get one. 🙂
Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
Message 5 of 16
graemev

It will cost a lot because it's thick.

The more obvious question is why you would bother.  Why 3D print that which can be made with a table saw and a drill press?

If you're still keen on printing it, export the part as an .stl file (note your export units of measure, as you will need either inches, centimeters, or meters on upload) and upload to Shapeways.  (www.shapeways.com)  The price will be calculated fairly immediately over a wide array of materials.

Message 6 of 16
chad38

Just tell them that I said you guys need one. That should do it. Get me one too, while you're at it.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 7 of 16
slphantom
in reply to: chad38

that's funny Chad I will let them know. we are just investigating things right now.

Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
Message 8 of 16
mcgyvr

IMO.. The output from typical 3d printers (with the weed wacker PLA/ABS string extruders) are NOT suitable for production parts.

Great for DIY "makers" but the tech is not suitable for professionals.

FDM/SLS is a slightly different story.. 

We ONLY use 3d printing technologies for in-house prototypes just to check form/fit/function and they usually end up in pieces by the time we are done doing that. 

Of course I also don't design big/bulky stuff.. I do thin walls/cores/cavities,etc... ..optimized for injection molding..

That part as you modeled it is 100% meant to be a cnc machined part..

3d printers can be used for in-house assembly jigs where tolerance and fixture/part life are not critical but I would NEVER buy a product from a professional company if I saw 3d printed parts in it..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 16
slphantom
in reply to: mcgyvr

this part is low precision, it is only used to store gage pins when not in use. the holes are typ. 1mm or so oversize for clearance.
Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
Message 10 of 16
mcgyvr

@slphantom wrote:
this part is low precision, it is only used to store gage pins when not in use. the holes are typ. 1mm or so oversize for clearance.

Sure..

But 3d printing is going to be far more than... $50 USD.. (and if its costing you more than that to machine a one-off you are doing something wrong)

Message 11 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: graemev

@graemev wrote:

It will cost a lot because it's thick. 

For others who see this thread -

we routinely shell thick parts to reduce cost or at the time of print the software give option of creating a sparse "honeycomb" interior.  Time and material used drives up the cost of printing.  The more material it has to lay down the more material cost and the more time cost.  We never print fully solid parts except in rare cases.

Also be aware of printing thin part and especially scaled down models of already thin parts. (this just doesn't work)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 16
blair

There is a company that has developed a Laser Sintered 3D print process and has printed a Colt 45 model 1911 piston that they have fired over 500 times: http://www.solidconcepts.com/news-releases/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-manufactured-solid-conc...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
There is a company that has developed a Laser Sintered 3D print process and has printed a Colt 45 model 1911 piston that they have fired over 500 times: http://www.solidconcepts.com/news-releases/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-manufactured-solid-conc...

Yes thats why I mentioned FDM and SLS (selective laser sintering).. Both fall into the "3d printing" but are vastly different compared to the "weed wacker string" 3d printers. 

You can sinter metals too. And get just as strong and sometimes stronger than machined metallic parts. 

Message 14 of 16
graemev

@Blair wrote:

That's kind of like using a milling machine with a rotary table to make a round bar.  You can do it, but using a lathe would be cheaper and more effective.

Message 15 of 16
blair

LOL, I didn't read the FDM or SLS, it did my post ASAP while multitasking my CAE and FEA to get my CNC files ready 🙂

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 16
graemev

@Blair wrote:
LOL, I didn't read the FDM or SLS, it did my post ASAP while multitasking my CAE and FEA to get my CNC files ready 🙂

YMMSCAOMM!

(You made me spray coffee all over my monitor.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report