Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converted dwg to ipt but cannot use in assy

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
arkbro640
1007 Views, 4 Replies

converted dwg to ipt but cannot use in assy

Hi,

I recently recived dwg files from our supplier and I converted them to step file and from there converted to ipt file (using autodesk inventor 2011). But when I try to assemble them in the assembly I am not able to do it. It gives a message that the file is not checked out and I cannot edit it. It does not even show the part in the window but in the browser tree it is there.

I do not know how to solve it.

Please help !!!

I have also attached a picture with the message it is giving me.

AH.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.laidler
in reply to: arkbro640

Looks like you are trying to edit an assembly that is located inside a 'library' folder.  Re-check your project file and confirm this is true.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 5
arkbro640
in reply to: john.laidler

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The issue with the message is solved. Actually I was working on the company network and I think something was wrong there as I moved to desktop it was fine.

But now when I place the converted ipt files in the assembly it does not show anything. Like in the picture I have re-attached, you see the parts highlighted in the browser tree but it is not visible in the window.

Please advise

AH

Message 4 of 5
ampster401

something that may help, at least it will eliminate the process of creating a stp file first, is you can "import" a dwg which contains "3D Solids" into Inventor.

Choose Open from within Inventor.  While still in the Open dialog window, locate and just highlight the dwg file you want.

Then click on the Options button at the bottom of the Open dialog window, then click on the "Import" option.

When you click the Open button, it will then present you with some more options.  IRC, you will need to cycle thru up to three more options windows and on the very last one, be sure to select the 3D Solids option, plus any other relevant options.

This will allow you to import dwg files with 3d solids directly into Inventor without having to create a stp file first.

It may also take care of the new issue you are seeing of "invisible" parts.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

As indicated, you can import a dwg directly - no need to STEP

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=3056

Attach your ipt file here - are you sure it is a solid body that passes quality check?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report