Distinguished Contributor
rajeshindi
Message 1 of 6 (1,304 Views)
Accepted Solution

convert multibody part in an assembly into associative individual parts

1304 Views, 5 Replies
09-23-2012 08:21 PM

Hi,

Currently I am working in an assembly file.  (.iam-INV 2013)

This assembly consists of few sub assemblies and few part (.ipt) files.

Each and every .ipt file is made up of many multi-bodies.

1.  I need to convert these multi-bodies in to a individual part files which is still associative to main assembly and the part file it belongs to.

2.  Is it possible?

3. How to do it?

4.  I tried to demote the part file (which contains multibodies).  It created sub assembly but still it has only one part file and does covert the mulibodies into multiple part file.

I hope, I am able to explain my problem.

Otherwise, happy to load the file.

thanks.

*Pro
sbixler
Message 2 of 6 (1,282 Views)

Re: convert multibody part in an assembly into associative individual parts

09-24-2012 04:15 AM in reply to: rajeshindi

Open a multi-body part file and use the Make Part or Make Components tools to create individual parts derived from the multi-body part file (or you can do this manually by using the Derived Part tool) and (re)place them into your assembly.  This is the typical workflow for multi-body solids: the MB part is the "Layout" for the individual parts derived from it.

rajeshindi
Message 3 of 6 (1,271 Views)

09-24-2012 05:02 AM in reply to: rajeshindi
Hi, I use crating part often with limited requirements. now i have few more requirements like,
1. The multibody part or assembly doesn't update if I modify the crated component.
2. I have created the multibody part with reference to other part or sub assembly in a assembly file. If I replace the multibody part file with derived part won't I loose the relationship.
Thanks
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 6 (1,269 Views)

09-24-2012 05:06 AM in reply to: rajeshindi

1.  I have never seen this - can you attach the files here?

2. I wouldn't do this.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Pro
sbixler
Message 5 of 6 (1,259 Views)

09-24-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: rajeshindi

rajeshindi wrote:
Hi, I use crating part often with limited requirements. now i have few more requirements like,
1. The multibody part or assembly doesn't update if I modify the crated component.
2. I have created the multibody part with reference to other part or sub assembly in a assembly file. If I replace the multibody part file with derived part won't I loose the relationship.
Thanks

1. This is the wrong way around.  The multibody part is where you do the updates-- the derived parts update to match.  So the proper workflow is: change the layout (multibody part), update assembly (all derived parts update also).
2. As JD Mather wrote, this is not a good idea.

rajeshindi
Message 6 of 6 (1,236 Views)

09-24-2012 04:38 PM in reply to: sbixler

Hi JDM, Sbixler,

Thanks for your support.

1.  Now I understand the filing structure.  If I understood correctly, Always we have to modify in the top level and it flows to the the bottom part.  (I got the confusion was due to the fact that I had the choice of editing directly in the assembly or open the part in the assembly and edit seperately. So, I asssumed editing part in an assembly or opening a part file and changing is just the same.)

2.  So, i have started an assembly with wrong foot.  It would be much appreciated if you could outline the best practice in creating assembly.  Normally, I get the part model from customer.  I derive that in to a .ipt file.  Then I start creating the whole assembly (approx. 100 to 150 parts) as multi bodies.  Once everythig completed I create component and new assembly file.  Then I go for bolted connection in the assembly file.  I do this way due to boolean function in the .ipt file which is lot easier.  If I try to do the same in .iam file then i need to copy the .ipt part into another part.  convert it into solid and then do the boolean function.  every .ipt part has a relationship with other.  I find it was lot easier to create the mulibody part file and later convert in to assembly file.

Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube