Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
JorisSteurs1246
Message 11 of 15 (169 Views)

Re: content center

11-08-2011 02:08 PM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Looks as things stay the same...
Ok, I use your Ipart with material copper, published it to the content center and when inserting the copper rod as a frame member, I still have the option to choose any material I want. This is not good because ( for this case) in my ware house
I have only copper rod. In this picture I insert the rod as galvanized steel, but I don´t have this material so it should not be in my custom CC obviously.

Galv.GIF

Also I can still choose any color I want when inserting the copper frame member.

Not good because I want a specific color always and only for copper.
Ok; Now I Use the CC editor to remove all the excesive material styles using the material guide.
I run trough the procces of adding copper and removing all the other materials but inventor is unable to remove any of them.

For removing unused color styles I don´t see any option.

Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 12 of 15 (155 Views)

11-09-2011 02:28 AM in reply to: JorisSteurs1246

Ok, you initial question is getting more clear.

So, if you insert my ipart from the CC, you just have one material and the corresponding color and I think this was answering to your initial question.

Instead, when you use it, or, any steel shapes with Frame Generator, selecting the member, the default material is the one set in the Family Table and the color is set to “As Material”.

Default.png

It is true you can set a different material and color, but, you have to do it deliberately.

This behavior is “as design”, because Frame Generator offers the flexibility to apply different materials and colors from the Style library.

If this is an issue for you, you can create and use a different Style Library that contains just the materials and colors you want.

For doing this, start the Style Library Manager from Start > All Products > Autodesk > Autodesk Inventor 2012 > Tools > Style Library Manager.

On the left side, click on Create New Style Library.

Style.png

Use the settings, for instance, as for the image below.

Style2.png

Select all the Materials you don’t want and delete them. Do the same with the colors.

DelMat.png

After that, in your Inventor Project edit the Design Data path and select the new folder created above.

DD.png

Kind regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
Product Support Technical Lead
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Valued Contributor
JorisSteurs1246
Message 13 of 15 (143 Views)

11-09-2011 06:58 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Strange that the project file trough the changing of the style Library will decide what materials or going to be used on my standard parts and not the parts themselves. If I understood well its possible though to remove materials from standard bolts and nuts when I move them to my CC library, but not with the parts that I design myself? The problem is that I have parts in the warehouse that are available in 2-3 or more different materials and that I want to make sure that everything I put in an assembly is also available in the warehouse. In my case its about parts that are available in different kinds of wood. I understand the thing about flexibility to aply other materials but this could easily be improved  by giving sort of warning on the frame member insert like " you are about to create and/or place a non standard part". ( maybe a chalenge for the Ilogic geeks that might be reading this)....

Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 14 of 15 (142 Views)

11-09-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: JorisSteurs1246

I’m not sure I’ve understood your last comment, but I’ll try to give an answer.

When you insert a Standard Part from the Content Center, the material is the one you have in the standard part Family Table.

PlaceFromCC.png

FamilyMaterial.png

If you insert the same Standard Part (Steel Shape) with the command Insert Frame, by default you get the material from the Family Table and the color is As Material, but, if you want, you can apply a different material or a different color Inventor takes from the Style Library.

InsertFrame.png

If this is an issue for you, you can create and use a Style Library that contains just the material(s) and the color(s) you want, as I’ve explained in the previous post.

This behaviors described are identical if you use a standard part from one of the standard families you install with Inventor or if you are using a custom standard part. That is, a part you have created and published in the CC.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
Product Support Technical Lead
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Valued Contributor
JorisSteurs1246
Message 15 of 15 (138 Views)

11-09-2011 08:16 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Alessandro

Yes Alessandro, I understand the concept of making a a custom style library, and in my previous post I was trying to explain to you my intention of making error free standard parts, in my effort of preventing errors that has happened in my company before.
The problem with the custom style library is that you start of with an empty one and put in materials an colors as you need during designing. The other option is to start with a full library and remove unused styles when finished with the design.
First option is a painfully slow way of design, teh second option is just as good as working with the standard style library and not error free ( you can still select any material you want).

I can conclude that its better to stick with I parts when ever posible because they have a property for material and you can´t change an ipart ( if things are set up well).
Only publish parts to the CC if very sure that they are going to be used in the frame generator and publish every part again with the differrent material instead of selecting material at the point of inserting the frame member.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.