Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constraint bugs....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
boggen
1094 Views, 6 Replies

constraint bugs....

after i get some were between 40 to 100 lines.  constraints begin getting messed up.

what provokes the messups....

--rebuild

--update

--changing a dimension

--adding a line, circle, arc.

--deleting a line, circle, arc.

--ctrl+z = undoing a line, circle, arc.

--move, copy, rotate, mirror, rotation pattern.

===============

autodesk 2013 proffesional (student version) with service pack applied during install. everything else at default install for autodesk.

win 7 home premium.

old computer, ram was going, bad, so i updated, motherboard, cpu, video, ram, power supply (basicly new computer) except hard drives, and memory card rearder.  did a nice clean format reinstall of win7   applied all updates, for win7, drivers, office 2010.  re-ran memory tester 64+ to double check memory on new setup. all good.

new setup...

amd A-10 5800K not overclocked CPU (quad core, with video in the cpu)

16 gig ram

asus motherboard.

old setup

pentium dual core, i want to say 2200mhz but i do not remember  specific model

4 gig ram

intal motherboard

problems happened on old and new setup. 

=================

open up autodesk

open up standard part

create a sketch on xy plane

begin drawing circle, some lines, arcs, using split, trim, and basic constraints of parrallel, 90, tangent, etc...

after i begin getting so many lines drawn (complex) setup,  were i might rely on auto calculation, for length of lines drawn between a couple circles. to cut out a piece,  things begin going ugly.

i have tried disabling auto applying constraints. and no go.

i try my best, to stay with putting in a dimension, vs relying on [|]  centering command, or rotation pattern, or equal = commands to place dimensions, but as soon as i get so many lines or arcs or circles, things go ugly.   the more i try and stay with direct dimensions longer it seems i can go, but just one slip. and it requires almost complete redraw of the sketch.

i have noticed, some times, using "ctrl+alt+del => task manger.exe" and checking on performance of cpu's and ram usage. some times autodesk will use all 4 cores of the cpu, and when things start messing up, it will get down to a single core, and the other 3 cores will not show any sort of usage.

===========================

of attached document

sketch 1 = it is showing 7 dimensions being needed to fully constrain. 😞 wrong should only be 2 or 3 needed.

gave up on 1 and started sketch 2

see sketch 3, for when problem circle and a line split up into 3 segments is giving problems in sketch 2.  as soon as i try to apply just a single constraint. to the circle or line, autodesk thinks it is fully constraint, and unable to apply 2nd constraint to fully place circle.

sketch 3 i am able to project lines, and position the circle like wanted. but not able to in sketch 2.

===========================

the problem, is just not this sketch, but i can repeat it day in and day out.

heck i have kept things simply and only a few lines per sketch, and used multi sketches. but once i hit a X amount. things begin messing up.

there is no special doings ilogic, iparts, spreadsheets, rules, etc... just lines, arcs, circles, basicly what ever shows up on either 3D model menu or 2D sketch menu bar. and not going outside of those menus to do anything else but to change apperance.

at times i get ""negative constraints""  vs being fully constrainted...

this is extremely frustrating. to point i just want to drag and drop autodesk to the recycle bin. and say forget it!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: boggen

This file would seem to indicate that you have not been instructed properly in how to use Autodesk Inventor.

Do this experiment -

Edit Sketch2 in the file you posted.

Notice that there is pink geometry (sick geometry - you should never have this).

Right click and select Show All Constraints - what do you see on the screen?

The proper technique is to pattern features rather than sketch entities.

You might read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

and this one that covers much of the same stuff, but in a little more depth

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

Then attach your files here one-by-one for a discussion on how each file can be improved.

The problem is the sketch in this file.  It is a poor technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
karthur1

In order to fully constrain Sketch1, I added a few dims and a few constraints.  Below is what I did.

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish in Sketch2. Try to keep your sketching to a minimum.  You will learn this over time.

Spend some time going over the tutorials.

2012-11-29_0720.png

Message 4 of 7
boggen
in reply to: karthur1

thanks for the links to PDF's. for most part have them already down/done. except a couple options for auto constraining. but, extremely limited usage of lines, is what is being suggested, is cutting my arms off. rather have a master sketch i can keep editing for extra lines/circles/arcs, and dimensions, i can quickly see and change. and just project off of for certain things. along with making sure holes to passage ways do not overlap, and that i have enough metal thickness between holes and passage ways. between multi parts. what is point of having mirror and and pattern commands. if your told not to use them at all. due to problems they cause. ================== other issues.... projecting from another sketch or solid. and then not being able to cut/split the projected lines, arcs, circles. and have to add extra dimensions to get something to re-calculate things. to get projected lines/arcs/circles to be even able to be selected. editing a dimension to some other number after things have been extruded, and other things projected from a base, and points randomly being picked from some spot and being duplicated and moved slightly in a single dimension of x,y or z, throwing off "fully restrained" ================== ================== ================== how about this..... is there a way, to completely remove all restraints, or show all restraints that are not shown. example. i draw a line. and then select circle and place center point of circle on line. and then just select some place else to finish circle out. is there a way to see the "constraint" that connects the center point of dot to the line? example is there a way, to make it so, when i do a mirror , rotate pattern, and i select an arc, and the the 2 end point "points" so the end points "points" can be used to restrain to a line? by just clicking coincident restrain? using the "auto dimensions and constraints" button, and more so the remove.... is there a way to get it so everything is removed. so far that does not work, and only on things selected. and visible with "show constraints" i know i am just a beginner and all at autodesk inventor 2013. but there are some bugs / issues.
Message 5 of 7
JDMather

Attach a finished part however you can get it done.  Then someone will show you the correct way to do the part.

Forget you ever say autoconstrain/dimension.

I don't think you will get very far very fast unless you attach a finished part here.

Everything you wrote in last post indicates a convoluted, unstructured, trial-and-error approach to modeling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

Do you have a picture of what you are trying to model - or a picture of something very similar to what you are trying to model in the file you attached here?

Message 7 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi boggen,

In addition to the previous advice, please have a look at this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

Keep your sketches simple and you'll see the frustration disappear, and more quickly get the results you're after.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report