Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constraining and assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
topher5150
728 Views, 7 Replies

constraining and assemblies

I need to have one assembly constrained to three places on along a bar. Should I ( and how would I?) open another assembly drawing, insert said bar and some how  insert those three assemblies into the drawing?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: topher5150

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are confusing drawings with assemblies.

Try starting a new blank assembly. Insert the bar and then insert 3 copies of the assembly.

Constrain them to the bar in the positions you require and save this new assembly.

Open a new drawing, select the newly created assembly for your base view, and proceed accordingly.

Again, I may be wrong, but I hope this helps.

Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021
Message 3 of 8
topher5150
in reply to: CrAzY-MiKe

Is there a way to constrain something so it's 90 degrees perpendicular

Message 4 of 8
CrAzY-MiKe

Up in the Ribbon, in the Constrants box you should find a Perpendicular constraint button which looks like an almost upsidedown "T". Click on this button, then pick a face (side) on the bar and a face (side) on one of the assemblies that you want to be perpendicular to each other.

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 5 of 8
SBix26

@topher5150 wrote:

Is there a way to constrain something so it's 90 degrees perpendicular

I'm sure there's a way, but without pictures or files, we can only guess.  But first tell us what context you're working in: sketch? assembly? part features?

Message 6 of 8
CrAzY-MiKe

topher5150;

Do you have access to the tutorials that usually accompany an install of Inventor? If so, you should try the ones concerning Assemblies and the constraints therein. If you follow the instructions carefully, I believe you will find them instructive and even fun!

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 7 of 8
topher5150
in reply to: SBix26

I'm having trouble posting pics on here, but I am working on making an assembly. I am trying to constrain one assembly to a set of parallel beams so that the assembly will be 90degrees to the beams.

Message 8 of 8
SBix26

Can't give you details without seeing your parts & assembly, but you can use the angle constraint between faces or workplanes/origin planes and set it to 90°.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report