Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compress spring

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Zac-C
2715 Views, 8 Replies

compress spring

Please how do i get the spring to have a compressed look with flat end....i try different settings but not able to have the spring rings to touch for a compressed look

Regard

IJC

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Zac-C
in reply to: Zac-C

anyone please
Message 3 of 9
blair

You should probably be modeling this as a IAM assembly file:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XVbE26BNM

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 9
Zac-C

Thanks Blair

Good video

I will make this part as a IAM....i actually want the Spring in a static compressed position....i cannot get the rings though to touch as if the spring is compressed

Thanks

IJC

Message 5 of 9
blair

If they are touching, this would then be a self-intersecting sweep and Inventor will through up an error. Improvements to this have been made in IV2014 but you really should model it then with a very small gap between the coils if this is your goal.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9
glenn-chun

Hello IJC, open the attached part and change the pitch of the coil.  I split the coil profile in half.  What value did you want for the pitch?

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 9
Zac-C

Hi Chris

Thanks

I am trying to follow your modelling...how did you split the coil in half...i do not see a split

Thanks

IJC

Message 8 of 9
Zac-C

sorry i meant Glenn

Message 9 of 9
glenn-chun

Hi IJC,

I used the Center Point Arc command to draw two 180-degree circular arcs and then deleted the original full circle.

split_circle.png

FYI, I'm attaching the Self-intersecting coils section of the What's New in Inventor 2014:

whats_new_2014_self_intr_coil.png

I'm curious to know what value you wanted for the pitch to "get the rings though to touch as if the spring is compressed".

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report