Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change part within assembly

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
HGerx
455 Views, 11 Replies

change part within assembly

I have small problem (well i hope that it is small) 

I have an assembly of  stair made from steel. There are lots of part the same.

Is there a way to make a hole (inside assebly) to one and that hole would appear on all of them.

And another problem, how can I made cut (inside assebly) through more then one part so that would affect a part also when I open it alone.

I hope I have made myself enough clear, if you guys need any other information, please wirite it down and i will try to response best I can.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: HGerx

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of questions, are these stairs created using frame generator?  Are the components created from parts within the content center?  If so are they custom?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

1-edit in place

2-feature migrator app

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 12
HGerx

Thank you for your fast reply.

I am a new user in inventor so I have created parts and insert them in assembly. I have one master assembly and about 3-4 sub-assembly. I have used some pattern in assembly.

best regards,

HGerx

Message 5 of 12
Cadmanto

If I understand what you are saying, I am thinking instead of placing the hole as an assembly feature, create the hole in the part itself.  If there are cases where the part does not need the hole then make an ipart factory out of the part with two members.  One with the hole and one without.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr

if all the parts are the same when you "edit" (in the assembly) the hole will be applied to all the parts.

You can also add holes (not using edit in-place) and that hole is only applied to that single part and not the other identical ones.. This hole will only show up in the assembly.

Note: to have the "edit" option show up you cannot have that part file open in another window.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 12
HGerx

both thanky for reply

@cadmanto

i need to make a hole (holes there are around 100) thgrough 3 diffrent parts, but I need to make this in assebly so I can position this holes

@mcgyvr

if i create hole in assembly, is it possible to put that part (with hole) from assembly into drawing?

Message 8 of 12
mcgyvr

@HGerx wrote:

both thanky for reply

@mcgyvr

if i create hole in assembly, is it possible to put that part (with hole) from assembly into drawing?

Sure.. But now are you talking about the part drawing or the assembly drawing?

I would HIGHLY recommend getting some proper training.. This all should have been covered in day 1 of training. 

First..forget about holes through multiple parts for a second.. Lets get the basics down first..

HGerx..  Open your assembly. Right click on one of the parts that you want to add this single hole to and click "edit". Now create a sketch on that part and add a hole then finish (return) out of the edit command. 

Now go open that part file.. Notice how the hole is there. Thats called "in-place editing" 

Now go back into your assembly.. This time don't right click and edit but instead just create a new sketch and add another hole again to that same part. Then go open the part.. Notice that hole is NOT in the part file.. Thats an assembly level feature. 

Both methods produce a hole in your part BUT the in-place edit" puts the hole into the part file (and hence it would show up on the part file drawing) while the other method does not. 

There is a time and place for each method and just incase you haven't heard it already.. "Model things in Inventor just like in the real world"

If you put that hole into the part when that specific part is being fabricated then add it in the part file (via in-place edit). If that hole is drilled into the part during assembly of the whole structure then use an "assembly level hole feature"

Message 9 of 12
HGerx
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have solved now my problems, as it turned out I needed to use ipart.

Thank you guys for all info I have recived here

Message 10 of 12
mcgyvr

@HGerx wrote:

I have solved now my problems, as it turned out I needed to use ipart.

Thank you guys for all info I have recived here

umm...ok? NOTHING in your question would be solved properly using an ipart.

Message 11 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcgyvr

Sometimes when threads are started the end result doesn't always match what the original question was.

Mainly because as issues are being resolved, different thoughts lead OP's down a different path for a solution.  Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 12
HGerx

Well I had a few problems during my modeling, @mcgyvr your information was helpful...
thanks to your info now i undestand inventor better

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report