Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

centre lines across 2 views (one with a break) go skew

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Namoi1
941 Views, 13 Replies

centre lines across 2 views (one with a break) go skew

If I've got a centerline in a drawing created from a cirlce in one view and the corresponding rectancle in the projected view, then break the projected view the centre mark from the first view moves off centre.

Also dimensioning from the centre line to a line in the projected views (not necessarily broken) doesn't work.

I know I can use bisect centre line and stretch it to meet a centre mark in the base view but every time i move the view I've got to adjust it.  It's what I'm doing now but it's a bit of a pain.

Any better solutions to this, as I think this is a fairly basic feature of drawings, and should be as straight forward as can be.  Thanks if I get a response, but I don't think I will

using IV2015
C-H
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Namoi1
in reply to: Namoi1

here's a pic of what happens

using IV2015
C-H
Message 3 of 14
blair

You would need to "anchor" the line to geomtry in the view to keep it moving with the view as the break shifts the items.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 14
Namoi1
in reply to: blair

how the hell did you think I created the centerline to start with??? I picked geometry of course, if that doesn't anchor it enough I don't know what they expect!
using IV2015
C-H
Message 5 of 14
blair

Select the view, then create new sketch, Project one of the vertical lines, then create a horizontal line from the midpoint of the projected vertical line. Change the line-type of the line construction or center and drag it long enough to get over to the next view.

Don't know how else to get a line from one view to another view in Inventor as each view is it's own.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 14
Namoi1

well when annotating and applying centerlines I just select the cirlce in one view and the projected line of the circle in the projected view, it automatically finds the midpoint of the line. This works fine, except when you break a view as you can see in the pic.
using IV2015
C-H
Message 7 of 14
Namoi1

test post to see if it shows up

using IV2015
C-H
Message 8 of 14
Namoi1

here is a screen capture of what I'm doing and what the problems are.

using IV2015
C-H
Message 9 of 14
blair

I have never seen the methodology you are using in using centerlines from one view to another view. Possibly this is something you have carried over from AutoCAD days. This could very well be the route of your problem. Just because Inventor lets you do it, doesn't mean that it's a solid practice. I think the centerline from view to view is what's causing your problems. I don't have the CAD standard in front of me, but it's not considered proper to have lines run from view to view. Each view should stand on it's own.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14
Namoi1

Blair

here are a couple of examples from Australian Standards, which are based o ISO virtually word for word.

As you can see it isn't forbidden, I think it is actaully much more logical to do it it some instances.

It's not really a carry over from AutoCAD as I have only really used Inventor, (tiny bit of AutoCAD), do do actual drafting.

Like I've said before I understand fully that the views are totally separate entities, and it is probably a bit of a pain in the arse to get them to talk to each other, in order to do this (don't know why they didn't do it in the first place, there must be some relation, as the projected view needs to refernce the base view anyhow).

using IV2015
C-H
Message 11 of 14
blair

The amount of work that ADSK has done in the IDW environment to speed up drawing placement and view refresh I am amazed that you can even get a Center-Line to pick geometry in a separate view. Nothing stopping you from dragging a line over to another view, just don't expect Inventor to hold the endpoint fixed when you break the object. If you could look at your drawing view from the edge you would understand what I mean. If you have something like a 3D mouse you can sometimes get the IDW environment to be viewed from its edges (side, top or bottom) and you would understand.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 14
blair

Can you try changing your methodology and do the break first, then the center line.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 14
blair

Here's a quick link to what data is actually displayed in the IDW environment of Inventor. What Inventor Actually Displays in a IDW View https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/f47f6f29-de66-4b65-8cdb-7ac20f06b8c1

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 14
Namoi1

tried it, doesn't matter if you make the break first of the centerline first, same thing happens.

using IV2015
C-H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report