Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant open dwfx file in IE9

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
CAD-One
3897 Views, 10 Replies

cant open dwfx file in IE9

Link for DWFX

This is a link for a dwfx file (Scroll down below)

I can open this is IE9. can you?

I thought that dwfx is for everyone to open & view including people with out IV. I am trying to open this in my home laptop (No iv)

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: CAD-One

Hi

I have tried to reproduce this issue, but I am not seeing the same behavior as you have reported, see my attached video. Do I missing something ?

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 11
CAD-One

I go to the link, when i see the dwfx file link i will click it. It ask if for open/save. i choose open. Are you trying to open this the any different?
Do you have iv or ADR on the computer you are trying this?
My home pc doesn't have Any autodesk products.
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 11
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi,

I got an error message said XPS Viewer cannot open this file when I open it (see attached image), is it same as your behavior ?

From my observation, I can only reproduce it on the machine that has NO inventor or ADR installed, if you install the ADR, then it can be opened successfully.so I suppose ADR installation fix the XPS Viewer problem.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 11
CAD-One

Yes. That's the error.
So, I have seen a large debate for dwfx file being the window for communication to the NON-CAD world. Is there a format that would help users to just click it and view it.
I forgot who said, somebody said this in AU class that dwfx could open, in IE dire fly. They didn't mention that this require ADR installation.
If I send a file to a vendor ir customer he might not have ADR installed. Looks like I should either ask them to install ADR or I send PDFs. 😞
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 11
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi ,

For this error, I will log it in our issue tracking database and let development team to investigate it. I suggest to export file to Image or PDF format and users can just cllick to view it.

For your reference, ADR viewer can be downloaded for free from http://usa.autodesk.com/support/viewers/ and its size is not large and can be installed quickly and easily, after it is installed, customers can view many other formats as below description:

Autodesk® Design Review is the free*, integrated, all-digital way to view, print, mark up, and compare versions of 2D and 3D drawings, maps, and models. Design Review works with a wide variety of file formats including DWF and DWFx, DWG™ and DXF (installation of DWG TrueView™ software required) and Adobe PDF, as well as several image file types including .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .pcx, .pct, .png, .rlc, .tga, .tif, .mil, .cal, and more.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 11
CAD-One

Thanks a lot
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 8 of 11
amasva
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi

Some info to Autodesk:

-Many user is not allowed to install anything on their computer, and ADR viewer is not pre installed.

-ADR viewer does not work in citrix environment.

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
Message 9 of 11
acwtzwegers
in reply to: amasva

This is actually why, against my first plans, we are likely going to end up with a SW pdm system (with PDF functionality) instead of my (previously) preffered choice of Autodesk Vault:

- Most of the the people in our company that need to view the CAD work (rather then make it) are on Cytrix boxes, the highest version of IE I've come across is 8 and everybody (including our customers) are used to, and using, PDF.

- Mail anyone a DWF(x) and you'll just get a reply in the line of "what do I do with this then?"

- If you don't have any Autodesk products installed, like for example the entire sales dept, DWFx just doesn't work - I've tried it on many many machines - but unless you have some Autodesk installation, IE will not display a DWF(x).

- An hour ago I asked one of the CAD workers (ACAD and IV) to view two DWFx's I mailed him, he's still facing an endless update of Design Review instead of just telling me his views on my design.

- Vault sadly cannot be configured (afaik) to use PDFs (like everyone) instead of DWFs... so if you use Vault, you'll end up having to make PDFs via print every time... which is extra time and effort spent.

As far as I've been able to research, the claims about DWF(x) being so easily viewable and all that are completely false. Autodesk employees can't replicate these results simply because they all have the stuff installed to use DWF(x) - then again, they could try and send their design to a random (non-AD) friend or family member and get the same great results.

Come on Autodesk - give it up already.

Message 10 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Kevin,

Any word on this?  I just exported an iam to .dwfx format and copied it to a jump drive.  Took this drive to a coworkers laptop that does not have any CAD or DWF viewer installed.  They are using IE8.  When I try to open the dwfx file, I get an error and it will not open.

So the question remains..... Can dxfx be opened in IE WITHOUT installing the ADR software? If so, how do we do it?

I would like to send my file to a customer, but because of internal policies, he cant install ADR.

Message 11 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

Kevin,

Any word on this? 

Doubt it.. I've reported this for YEARS now.

A while ago I tried opening a DWFX file on a whole bunch of computers in our office.. Only 2 opened it.. (both those had Inventor) None of the computers without Inventor could open it..

I just love how even the Autodesk employee recommended making it a PDF...

Autodesk just let DWFX die like it should.. Give us 3d pdf export built into Inventor and move on..

Your ability to "take over the non-cad world" with DWF didn't work at all. You did manage to piss off users though on many occasions.. Great job with that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report