Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you Unfold imported .iges/sat files?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
lhoang
3487 Views, 18 Replies

can you Unfold imported .iges/sat files?

A lot of times our customers will send sheet metal parts for us to manufactur.  unfortunately they do not have inventor and/or do not, or won't, send the flat layout.  It is possible for me to convert these 3d files into Inventor sheet metal pieces and lay them out so i don't have to re-draw?  What are the steps to do so?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
BMiller63
in reply to: lhoang

If the part has been modeled with a consitent thickness througout, has bends at all corners, and you set your SM style to match that thickness then you can flatten it.

In older versions you sometimes had to select all of the faces on one side of the folded part, before clicking the Flat Pattern button to get this to work, but I don't think that's the case the days.

There maybe some exceptions that I'm not aware of, though.

Message 3 of 19
lhoang

Thanks!  I will give it a try. 

Message 4 of 19
JDMather

If you run into a part that will not flatten - attach it here and someone will show how to fix the part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
lhoang

Here is an example of one I would like to pull the sheet metal parts off and lay it out flat.  I do have .iges and .step files for, but I imported and saved the file to post here.  Please let me know if you can do this.

Message 6 of 19
JDMather

There are 4 solid bodies in this part file (but should be 5).  I would have much much rather had the orignal file rather than the Inventor file. (you can attach the original file here by right clicking on the filename in Windows Explorer and selecting Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.  Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
lhoang

If there is a way you import this, in your preferred method, i wouldn't mind understanding that process as well.  In any case, let me know how this works for you

Message 8 of 19
JDMather

There will be additional problems in unfolding this as the original designer either didn't know how to do sheet metal or wasn't concerned with unfolding.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
lhoang
in reply to: JDMather

At least you got it to unfold.  How did you do that??

Message 10 of 19
arnold_noel

hello,

i would like to know the process to unfold iges and stp files in inventor too.

usually i get drawings in this format, and i really hate to redraw every part. it is really time consuming and there are cases that i have to redraw dozens of parts.

can somebody help me please.

if i open the igs/stp files in inventor and convert it to sheet metal, setting correctly the thickness, i don't have any unfold/flat pattern option enabled.

thaks

arnold

Message 11 of 19
SBix26
in reply to: arnold_noel

Can you post a couple of examples?

Message 12 of 19
pcrawley
in reply to: SBix26

Regarding lhoang's original post and model, have a look at the attached PDF.  It might not be everyones prefered workflow, but it's pretty simple to follow.

You could import the IGES file as an assemby of parts, but you nearly always strike one part (as in this model) that needs breaking up into sensible sheet metal bodies.  Bringing the IGES file into a single part environment lets you break the model into the required bodies before creating the sheet metal parts and you get a much better understanding of the design intent if you see everything in the context of the finished assembly.

Hope it helps.

Peter
Message 13 of 19
darklord084
in reply to: pcrawley

is there any possible solutions to this d.a.m.n. problem?

1. open parasolid
2. click this...
3. then click this...

taa daaaa

it's unfolded.

i imported parasolid file into sheet metal part with copy object tool.
and then i tried unfold command to unfold my part. it didnt work. What should i do???

Message 14 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: darklord084

@darklord084 wrote:

... i tried unfold command to unfold my part. it didnt work. What should i do???

Attach your file here.

How much sheet metal training/experience do you have?

What version of Inventor are you using?

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
andrewmole

Hi,

Saw your post, and I'm interested to participate as well. Did you get the same outcome as mine ?

88.png

99.png

Message 16 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: andrewmole

@andrewmole wrote:

Saw your post, and I'm interested to participate as well. Did you get the same outcome as mine ?

Keep in mind that you are responding to a post that is over 4 yrs old and the outcome is dependant on K factor that is specified.

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
andrewmole

Oh... I didn't see that coming. Thank you for the reminder.

Message 18 of 19
lhoang

Yes, Actually I was thinking the same thing; this post is so old I cannot even remember what I was doing at the time. Really though, I've gotten into the habit where I will redraw the part in Inventor to get the flat layouts I need. It is not so efficient, but at least I then have the part to do with as I wish and I know it will be drawn correctly. Also, I ended up buying a seat of Solidworks so I can better deal with customer supplied drawings. It has made working with our customers easier (since that is where I had the bulk of my issues), and I am able to do things with the native files that I could not do before, i.e. create flat layouts.

Message 19 of 19
andrewmole

Well. just to share my experience with you all. If you failed to unfold a sheet metal part which is from IGES or other neutral file format, try to perform a surface analysis against the part. Please refer to the below, this is what causes the unfold to fail. The other bend can fold nicely but not at this bend.

65.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report