Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bill of materials/parts list

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
leandrav
527 Views, 6 Replies

bill of materials/parts list

Hi,

I am rather new to the Inventor family.

Please can someone tell me how & where I can add fields that I require for my equipment.

I see I can add it to the bill of materials in the assemdly but that doesn't carry through to the drawing.

I see that I can add to the parts list in the drawing but i don't want to have to add the information into my drawings everytime I use one of my machines.

Basically I am busy creating a library of all the machines I use. This library will then be used for numerous drawing for many different clients. I need the required info to be in my drawing from the begining without me having to add it to every clients drawing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
japike
in reply to: leandrav

In a drawing, go to Manage tab\Styles and Standards panel and select Style and Standard Editor. When the dialog box opens go to the Parts List catagory and make as many styles as you with - you can make one for each client. When you are finished save the styles to you styles library and they will be available to all of your drawings. In order to write to the syles library, it must be set to "Read-Write" in your project file. Also check out inventor help for more info.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: japike

Be sure to right click on the default style and select New Style. Then right click and set that one as default. Then you can edit it and add whatever columns you want. As you can see we have one for assemblies, parts and total weight of assemblies. The styles editor is also where you set up dimension styles, etc. Just be sure to make a copy of the defualts that way if you messs any up you are not changing the defaults. But before doing anything go to the top under Standard and copy the default and rename. Set that to current then make your parts lists, etc.

Parts List.PNG

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: leandrav

If you go to the styles editor and copy one of the existing BOM styles.  Then massage that new style to what you want it to look like.  Save the style and save the styles to the Library.  Understand that the master project file has to be read/write before you can do any of this.

Once all of this is done when you go to place the parts list in the drawing and select the down arrow to choose which one, the newly created BOM should be there. 

What you can also do is when you create more then one specific BOM style, if there is one in specific that you use most of the time, you can make that your default to automatically come in.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: Cadmanto

Quick correction here, Scott-- those are Parts List styles, not BOM styles.  Technically, in Inventor, BOM refers specifically to the assembly only, stuff that is managed through the BOM Manager.  What the rest of the world knows as Bills of Material, Inventor calls Parts Lists.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

I know.  I am just used to calling them BOM's because that is what we have our parts list labeled on our drawings.

Plus the term used in previous softwares.

I will try really, really hard to not make this mistake again!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: Cadmanto

I've been trying really, really hard most of my life to not make the same mistakes repeatedly... Smiley Frustrated

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report