Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best practices for templates

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
elise_moss
676 Views, 9 Replies

best practices for templates

Using Inventor 2011 in a small group environment.

In the past, I would have set templates up on the engineering server, pointed all the engineers to it, and things would have been OK.

They are using Vault, so I put the templates in the Vault for them to download, copy onto their laptops, and use.  The problem is that if they want to make a change to template, it creates all sorts of issues with check ins and check outs. 

Looking for input from users on what works best for them with regards to custom templates.

thanks,

elise

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
karthur1
in reply to: elise_moss

We use vault and store the templates in there.  Not a big problem.  We basically want everyone using the same template and on occasion there are changes to the template.  The file is checked out, the change made, then it is checked back in.  I usually send a message to all the users and tell them to "get latest" on the templates....That gets everyone using the same template.

We dont use the default template path. The vault project includes the path for the templates.

Message 3 of 10
elise_moss
in reply to: karthur1

that makes me feel better.  some of the issues may be that this is a start-up baby firm so they are still shaking out what they want in their templates, etc.

thanks!

Message 4 of 10
guyh

We created a shared folder on the Vault server and placed the design data, templates etc in here and then use a project file to point to this folder.  That way I can update the templates as required.

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 5 of 10
scottmoyse
in reply to: guyh

thats what we are doing, seems crazy to have design data and templates in vault. If they are on the network and mapped via the vault project file then updates are distributed to the designers immediately instead of them having to update from the Vault.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 10
elise_moss
in reply to: scottmoyse

That is the benefit I see from pointing to a folder on the server.  However, everyone is on a laptop and expected to work on the weekends and evenings (start-up!), so they need to have the templates on their local drives. 

Message 7 of 10
elise_moss
in reply to: guyh

I still haven't been able to get into the ADMS so I can set up shared content.  That is going to be my focus next week.

Message 8 of 10
guyh

This way of working seems to have several potential problems to me especially as unless you have remote access to the Vault.  If you do then the same procedure can apply to a shared folder and templates.  Does everybody work on individual projects on a weekend or do they check out the files they are to work on prior to leaving the office?

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 9 of 10
scottmoyse

why do you need to setup shared content in the ADMS? 

off site work is the main reason for having design data & templates in the vault.

Can you set up VPN access to the server for those people?

They could also have a mock network drive on their laptop thats only mapped when they are offline. but then you are starting to get into a situation where its just easier to have it in the vault.

Have you looked into Workspace Sync?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 10
elise_moss
in reply to: scottmoyse

no, I will check into workspace sync...thanks for the tip!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report