Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bending sheet metal that has a big radius

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
stephenson513
1227 Views, 4 Replies

bending sheet metal that has a big radius

he there

We have an issue where we are trying to bend a 1mm sheet with a 24mm radius.

The one side must come out 105mm wide and the flange must be 50 mm wide. inventor gives a flat pattern width of 143.4

If we bend using a brake press and a 24mm tube blade then it wont come out the right size. its like the flat pattern isnt big enough.

we get the 50 mm flange but whats left over is 99 and not 105. How do we deal with something like this?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: stephenson513

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

stephenson.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
Mario428

I would have said your K factor is not right but even a K factor of 1 will not gain enough material.

My next thing to check would be the actual radius of the part, sounds like the material is pushing away from the punch and ending up a smaller radius, have seen this happen many times. Press operator needs to put a pc of urethane or similiar in the die so that the material stays tight to the punch.

If the radius ends up smaller than the modeled radius one leg of the bend will short

Message 4 of 5
stephenson513
in reply to: Mario428

ok we actually made a stupid mistake 😕 we kept seeing the 24mm RADIUS as the size of pipe that we should use not thinking that 24 is the radius and not the diameter!! yes very dumb of us. we will now try a 50mm pipe since we dont have a 48mm anywhere

but thanks for helping
Message 5 of 5
Mario428

@stephenson513 wrote:
ok we actually made a stupid mistake 😕 we kept seeing the 24mm RADIUS as the size of pipe that we should use not thinking that 24 is the radius and not the diameter!! yes very dumb of us. we will now try a 50mm pipe since we dont have a 48mm anywhere

but thanks for helping

We get that all the time at my workplace. The fabricators occasionally need a designer to point out their mistakes are the problem not the design or drawing. LOL

Glad you found the issue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report