Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autodesk vault

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cokhitp
783 Views, 9 Replies

autodesk vault

I try to delete one of version of the file on vault server. When i right-click and delete, it delete all version and original file too.

Im using IV 2011, please help!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
smjanows
in reply to: cokhitp

Try purging rather than deleting.

Message 3 of 10
cokhitp
in reply to: smjanows

1. By purging, It just can delete old version, but i want delete only new version (because new version is not right design).

2. And how to open old version in vault 2011.

Please help!

Message 4 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey

You really need to contact your reseller on this one issue.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 10
smjanows

Check out a previous version, make your changes, and check it back in.  Now it's your newest version.

Message 6 of 10
David_Orchard

Get "previous version" from vault and select the one you want.

Just leave the latest version there. It'll get pushed back into history fast enough. I don't think you can selectively delete a version. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

Message 7 of 10
minkd
in reply to: smjanows

After you checkout, get the previous and check that in, you can do a purge to get rid of the "bad" version.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 10
bschupbach

I have the same and very signficant issue that this thread brought up.  The solution of getting the previous version and checking it  in doesn't solve the problem that we have a revision in Vault that we don't want.  Sometimes you want to revert back because rev changes can be major processes when they are tied to ERP's, change processes, and other activities throughout the enterprise.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed in recent releases of Vault?

Message 9 of 10

bschupbach,

By default, you cannot go back in Revision levels, only forward. Once a revision level has been used (or even if you skip some), you can only move forward. If you think of this, it's for good reason. Yes, I agree, there are times where it would be nice to have the ability to "correct an error" set only for Admins.

But typically, once a file is revised, you are basically admitting the older revisions are no longer approved for new production. If you need to revert back to a previous revision, that in essence is a new revision. Simply select that older revision and make it the current version and then release it as a new revision. You always want to move forward and that's the general thinking of pretty much all PDM systems. Honestly I don't know of any that allow you to jump backwards and make an older revision the current revision, basically leap frogging the higher revisions.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, contact me directly, I'd be more than happy to help.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 10 of 10
bschupbach

As an engineer, if I start modifying a part for a new revision then I have to bump the rev in Vault so that my work/changes are not affecting the current revision which is Released throughout the enterprise.  There is a period of time where the new revision is in the design process and for all intents and purposes should not be recognized by production until the design is complete, goes through the required approval process and is released to Production and propograted throughout the enterprise, and related systems.

It is not uncommon during this design phase for someone to "change their mind" and decide not to move forward with the new design or for the change to be rejected during an approval process.  This would mean the change can't be incorprated and therefore the new Revision never goes into effect.  In this case, the last thing I want is for the new revision that got "killed" to still be showing up as the lastest revision in Vault and be the revision that opens by default.

For larger companies, approval processes can be quite extensive,  somtimes going through multiple affected parties throughout the organization, to customers, etc.  Simply restoring the previous Revision as a new Revision and running it through an approval process is just not practical when nothing changed.

I just don't see how this is not a problem for many users.  All I can figure is that the majority of companies who use Inventor and Vault must be small shops where "changing revisions" requires little or not approval.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report