Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto extract of a reference length

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
302 Views, 1 Reply

auto extract of a reference length

I use flat piano hinges on doors for many of the machines we build. I would like to be able to calculate the total length of multiple doors on a single machine. We buy these hinges so it needs to go on a buy out parts list.

So here is my problem:

To make it a useable hinge I build an assembly from two hinge halves.

This allows me to check for interference within the machine when the door gets opened.

I set the BOM structure of the assembly to purchased so it shows up on my buy out list.

Both halves of the hinge are set to normal.

There are hinges of different lengths on the same machine.

I can link a parameter of one of the halves to the assembly to show length of the hinge but I cannot set the BOM base qty on the assembly to that parameter so Inventor can add up the lengths.

When I group the items in a buyout parts list the result is  "0." The individual assemblies show the correct length because I use the "length" parameter that is linked for the QTY in the parts list. But I cant "add" the lengths and have a total whe I group them.

I hope I'm making sense.

Keep in mind that I need to have mixed units in this list. Some things are bought as Each and these hinges are bought in length.

THank you

INV2009

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We use a parts list we made for weight summing which contains just one field and is placed like any other parts list. Perhaps you can incorporate something like that for your grouped items. Although i wouldn't know off hand how to stop it from adding every length in the BOM.

WT.PNG

WT 2.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report