Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly ??'s

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
548 Views, 14 Replies

assembly ??'s

I am trying to assemble an extruded tube that has holes drilled, to a flat plate to be bolted together. when i go to assemble the parts the drilled holes will not highlight to attach the plate to. what am i doing wrong.

( please post answer in an easy to read form .. as i am a noob)

thanks, Ken.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
DRoam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ken. Can you attach the files you're working with so we can get a better idea of what you're trying to do? Remember if it's an assembly you have to upload each part file, too. Use I > Save As > Pack and Go if necessary.

Thanks,

DRoam

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

Mate axis of Hole in tube to axis in hole in plate.

Next step depends on actual design.

Tangent might be the constraint.

Attach your assembly here for more guidance as suggested.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 15
Cadmanto

Also, try using this command.  I find it most handy whwen it comes to tangent mates.

assy.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: DRoam

this is what i some what want this assembled and able to bolt together. my
problem is i can't assemble any of the holes to each other.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

here are the parts i am trying to assemble. i can't get them to line up

Message 7 of 15
Cadmanto

These are drawings, not part models.  You can't assembly drawings.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

sorry exported in wrong format--- try this

Message 9 of 15
DRoam

See attached assembly with the parts constrained. Notice I used a combination of axial mate and tangent constraint. You should be able to place it in the same directory as your current Assembly5 and it will use the same parts you attached. I also used a Directed Angle contraint to orient the assembly properly.

It is difficult to mate the holes since the holes in the pipes are not flat. There might be a better way to do this, I don't know, but this is the best way I know of.

Message 10 of 15
mcgyvr

Holes in a tube (or on a rounded surface) are NOT features that can be used with the insert constraint. The insert constraint requires holes on a flat plane.

You must use mate/tangent constraints.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: Cadmanto

Here is another way to assemble them.

FYI, it would have been easier if the holes in the plate were the same distance as the ones in the tube.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

ok i will this a try. thanks for all of your support

Message 13 of 15
DRoam

No problem. And if one of our posts answers your question be sure to mark it as "Accept as Solution" so it can help others in the future as well.

Message 14 of 15
DRoam

Ah, I see that you did now. Never mind 🙂

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

because drilled holes on a curved surface have no imate point to attach to. You will have to align the holes from the centerlines and then use a Tangent on the pipe and surface:

mate.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report