Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anti aliasing problem on new lenovo W530

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394
2227 Views, 22 Replies

anti aliasing problem on new lenovo W530

So I got a new Lenovo W530 this week, with nvidia k2000 gpu., win7 64bit,

running inventor 2013 and setting hardware tab to "quality" i have some unusual behaviour

The model does anti-alias when static but as soon as I move the mouse the anti aliasing disappears. Once the model is zoomed/panned anti aliasing returns.

I've tried to show this on this (poor) video

http://oregon.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-Awesome-Photos/23904506_thtzpr#!i=1950382634&k=fBhpbkV&lb=1&s...

If I move around with 3D mouse (space explorer) then every think works fine. It's only when mouse cursor moves that anti aliasing breaks.

I've tried 3 different mice and also disconnected everything and tried laptop cursor etc too

I've played with nvidia control panel for ages but those settings seem to have zero impact on inventor,

Does anyone have any advice on where to look to fix this?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
blair
in reply to: GARRYFRASER8394

Most computers ship with old drivers for the graphics card. The first thing I would do is update the graphics card drivers.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the reply,

I did a clean install of windows after getting the PC and updated all the drivers to latest versions, I've also tried an older gpu driver.

W530 has intel hd graphics along with nvidia k2000m discrete

Setting intel gpu in bios only, then inventor actually works fine.

Setting the nvidia gpu only in bios, the same problem recurs.

Message 4 of 23
blair

Try "Compatibility" mode within the Inventor>Applications>Hardware folder.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394

Gives the same as performance, anti-aliasing off.

"Software graphics" actually makes anti-aliasing work, but poor frame rate performance etc.

Message 6 of 23
blair

You are back to the "Default" settings in the Nvidia control panel?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394

Hi Blair

Yes settings were back to default in nvidia control panel.

I'm now tried the following

lenovo provided drivers

Also tried nvidia verde 301.42 driver but won't install on the k2000m

I've reverted back to lenovo oem hard disk and factory install, reinstalled inventor etc. Problem still recurs. updated all the drivers again but still no improvement.

I just need to find someone else with a new W530 and see if they have same problem...

Message 8 of 23
blair

Try one of the modified drivers from: http://laptopvideo2go.com/

You may need to used one of their modifed drivers to get the latest/current Nvidia drivers. Used to use this site when I had a Dell Precission laptop as I could only install "Dell" drivers on the machine. By using the modified DLL file you can install the current Nvida drivers.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394

Had a try and it looks like the k2000m is still to new, I think it's also referred to as 2100m. Either option still isn't listed in the long list of models for the latest 300 series win 7 driver

Message 10 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394

laptopvideo2go released version 305.53 with a modded inf last week.

This installs without issue on the W530.

The problem still remains though

Message 11 of 23
blair

Have you tried different settings within Inventor under the Application>Hardware: Performance, Quality, Compatibility.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 23
GARRYFRASER8394

Yep, AA only works with quality set, disappears when mouse is moved

Spent last hour playing with nvidia program over rides but doesn't seem to have any effect, apart from causing inventor to crash.

Message 13 of 23
blair

Check if you are current on all DirectX from Microsoft?

After that, possibly wait for any drivers or bios updates from the manufacture for your Lenovo.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 23

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my Nvidia K5000 card.  Move the mouse and no AA.

Is it a K series issue?

Have you tried without the 3D connexxion driver installed?  (I haven't)

My mouse is standard windows 7 driver.

Latest drivers on everything.

Neil.

Message 15 of 23
blair
in reply to: NeilClasby75

Does this laptop have an intergrated Intel GPU as well. If so, go to the Nvidia control panel and make sure it is using the Nvidia GPU and not the on-board Intel GPU

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 23
NeilClasby75

This is not a laptop but a Dell T5600 workstation using a Quadro K5000 card.  My HP laptop with Quadro 4000M did not have this problem, and I've made sure the Nvidia settings are the same - which was basically default anyway.

I'll check the GPU settings though.

Thanks, Neil.

Message 17 of 23

I wasted many hours on this but it's clearly a driver fauly with the k series of cards.

I now use an ATI card on a desktop for 90% of what I do, only use the laptop when out on site etc.

Nvidia won't be getting any more of my business for business graphics 🙂

If the card is new can you return it?

Message 18 of 23
NeilClasby75

Hi

I wouldn't want to get into changing this card.  It's a very newly released card so I assume there will be some teething problems.

I have gone for Nvidia because of problems with my ATI cards.  Perhaps neither are better and each have issues. I'm sure its all pretty complex.

Regards, Neil.

Message 19 of 23
rmerlob
in reply to: NeilClasby75

This is exactly the same problem I have on this thread, https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/gtx-660-anti-alias/td-p/3762852

It´s really interesting to see youre getting this with a business card. Mine´s a GTX660.

Please post back if you get some leads, I´ll be sure to do so myself.

Message 20 of 23
NeilClasby75

Hi Garry

Not sure whether your drivers have been improved and resolved the problem?

The latest drivers for K5000 card still have the problem, although they are gradually improving, such as weird line effect that I had in IDW when on "Quality" setting.  But I've found a work around for anti-aliasing in parts and assemblies.  Just change the view from Default or Two Lights to an IBL environment such as Plain Room.  For some reason the anti-aliasing then hold after mouse movement!  Its a bit of a pain because you can't tell Inventor to automatically load an IBL on all files.  But at least when you are presenting on site you can use it.

Hope this works you for too.  And helps.

Regards, Neil.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report