Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying appearance and library issue.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
egghead
784 Views, 11 Replies

annoying appearance and library issue.

I have an issue where anything i insert from the library or downloaded, when inserted into an assembly or just opened the finish has a welded finish to it, i am using the same appearence library as a machine next to me.

is there anyway of stopping this annoying finish appearing on the parts. especially on library parts from the content centre as there is no way of opening then and changing the look of them.

it asigns the weld syurface bitmap to all parts how can this be removed.

all of us in the office are wishing that we never installed IV2013, as this new appearance in IV2013 is causing nothing but trouble as well as being very unstable, it crashes our machine numerous times throught the day when changing things within it.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: egghead

Could you please attach a dataset, illustrating this problem.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 12
BHOOPER84

We also have the same issue, only its not all library files/content centre files. I can place an M8x35 hex socket bolt which is normal, but if I place an M8x40 it has the weld surface!

So far, at our office, all of our experiences with the appearance library have been negative to put it politely!! Its so hit and miss, and more miss than hit!

bolts.JPG

Any help would be brilliant!!!!!!

Message 4 of 12

Could you attach a pack and go of the assembly with the bolts inserted so that I can check this in my installation? Do you use custom materials in your project?

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 12
BHOOPER84

We do use custom materials, well we used to anyway! We havent been able to get them to work since the swtich from 2012 to 13.

We also have a few conflicts with styles that we have been unable to get rid of. We have tried to update the design data by saving our template preferences over it but it does not work, I was wondering if this could be something to do with it. As we get the styles conflict message every time we create a new part.

I have attached a pack and go of a simple assembly with the bolts in!

Many thanks,

Berran Hooper

Message 6 of 12

The assembly is empty, the bolts are not included in these attachments, I need the full dataset. Also the standard material library is located in this folder:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Materials

If your material library is saved somewhere else and you do not use the standard one from Inventor 2013 , you need to send me also the custom adsklib file. Are these bolts inserted from the default Inventor 2013 content center or you have used a custom bolt family with custom material?

I inserted these bolts by using the default material library of Inventor 2013 and I do not see this problem. It seems, in your case this is related to the materials you use.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 7 of 12

The assembly is not empty on my computer?!!?!?

We use a copy of the orginal design data, that we put on our server, and direct all our pc's to it so we all get the same attributes.

We then add materials like PTFE & Phosphor Bronze. and update the design data so it pushes these materials out to all the PC's.

The bolts are from the default Invetor Content Centre!

I have attached our adsklib file.

Many thanks

Message 8 of 12

I have opened your attachment fine now and I could see the problem with your dataset. The cause for this is that the bolt M8x40 in the content center files folder of your project has incorrect appearance (for unknown reason). Every time you insert new bolt with this size, it takes the “bad” version from this folder. I could solve the problem by deleting the fastener from the folder (image attached) and inserting the same fastener in a newly opened assembly. Then, I opened your assembly and got a prompt to update the assembly and the bolt was updated with the correct appearance. You can do this for all assemblies where you have inserted this bolt size.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 9 of 12
BHOOPER84

Ok I have followed your logic and yes it works.

But what about parts from our own standard library then? See below!

These are actually parts on our server, not inventor content centre files, and some of these have been corrupted and their appearances changed.

Is there any logical reason why this has happened?

Many thanks

Message 10 of 12
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: BHOOPER84

Egghead, BHOOPER84,

From a quick look at the images posted here, these issues are likely due to the incorrect scaling of the texture being used for the appearances: we can confirm that later.

Are you able to tell us the steps you went through to migrate your existing data when you went up to 2013 ?

Did you use Task Scheduler to do a bulk migration or did you migrate "on demand" just by opening the data. Did you say Yes or No to migrate the appearances? Did you migrate your standard Content Center files folders ?

For the content center issues, are you able to supply us your .idcl file from where the files are originally sourced ? (Check Tools, App Options, Content Center tab for the location of your idcl files).

What steps did you use to migrate your CC libraries, if any ?

Sorry for so many questions but these should help us to help further.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
BHOOPER84

Hi Chris,

We migrate on demand as and when we open the models.

So far I have clicked 'No' on the migrate appearances prompt, as I clicked yes once and everything turned yellow!

We didnt migrate our standard content centre files as far as I remember! We've been to busy!

When we moved from old 10 to 11, or 11 to 12 we never had any of these problems before, so we didnt anticipate them! We have always been open to open the models and migrate when necessary.

Thanks for your help!!

Message 12 of 12
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: BHOOPER84

Berran,

I'm still unsure as to what caused this in the first place; you'll notice that the "welded appearance" bolt has a Material of Steel, Mild & an Appearance of Default. The proper looking bolt has a Material of Steel, Mild and an Appearance of Steel.

If you view the assembly using the Realistic view mode instead of just shaded then it will appear correct. I suspect this will be the case for your other parts too.

Do you recall if when you first opened the data, whether you had configured a custom appearance library or if you were just using the as shipped versions ?

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report