Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after assembly edit, sketches are now not square

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jramos111
1754 Views, 11 Replies

after assembly edit, sketches are now not square

hello and thank you in advace for all and any feed back anyone can help me with.  

I am using inventor 2013, and after making some height edits to a sub-assembly.  I got some constraint errors and crosspart failure.  

after some redifining of rerrefence lines I am not sure what happened but now my whole assembly and sub-assemblies are now not square.  they are shifted by 1º.   I am in a time crunch and with a list full of sub assemblies not square.    if anyone can share any past experience on how to make my assemblie square again.   thank you in advance your feedback is appreicated.  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: jramos111

Are you editing this assembly with in the assembly or are you editing the parts outside of the assembly and when you come back to the assembly this is what has happened.  Basically are this parts derived from the assembly.

Can you post some images of what you are talking about?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

General solution for most cases,

the logical grounded base part has been ungrounded and moved by accident.

Add Mate-Flush constraints between the Origin planes of this part and the Origin (xy, xz, yz) planes of the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 12
jramos111
in reply to: Cadmanto

Cadmanto,  

thank you for your quick response and interest in my problem.    

height edits were made to induvidual parts but as they were referenced and derived from a main assembly part and mated with constraints to other sub-assemblies.  the edit shifted with the constraints.  then after deleting some constraints the part shifted back to place.  then after saving and opening the drawing a list of crosspart failure errors appeared.  we then redifined some refference lines and now the whole assembly and sub-assembly is shifted.   I am attaching one of the sub-assemblies in question.  but removing the assembly from my main assembly i am not getting and error.  but if you open part _skin 5 and opening the sketch you can clearly see the mis-alignment and how the part is no longer square with its refference lines.  Any help you can provide will be highly helpful to my design.  

Thank you very much in advance. 

Juan

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 12
jramos111

thank you for your quick response and interest in my problem.  I have attached new zip file with assembly file and pats files.    

height edits were made to induvidual parts but as they were referenced and derived from a main assembly part and mated with constraints to other sub-assemblies.  the edit shifted with the constraints.  then after deleting some constraints the part shifted back to place.  then after saving and opening the drawing a list of crosspart failure errors appeared.  we then redifined some refference lines and now the whole assembly and sub-assembly is shifted.   I am attaching one of the sub-assemblies in question.  but removing the assembly from my main assembly i am not getting and error.  but if you open part _skin 5 and opening the sketch you can clearly see the mis-alignment and how the part is no longer square with its refference lines.  Any help you can provide will be highly helpful to my design.  

Thank you very much in advance. 

Juan

Message 7 of 12
Cadmanto

Juan,

If I can make a suggestion, you have a lot of associativity going on in this assembly.  It is no wonder why you are having so many issues.

Is there a reason why you have to derive so many parts?  Is there that many needed links between parts that the edits can't be done directly in the part instead of editing it in the assembly?  I would be willing to bet if you broke the vast majority of the associativity links, you would not have this issue.

Think of it this way.  If you have kids, you will know what I mean.  The more kids you have the harder it is to get them to agree on one particular item.  If you only have one or two, it is much easier.  Same with your assembly, the more associativity you have going on the less freedom you have to alter or change things.  Especially in your case.  In some ways you have locked yourself into a corner.  Hope this makes sense.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 12
jramos111

cadmanto,  

thank you for responding and taking a look at the design.    Im fairly new at inventor and am getting general direction by my co-worker.  we design elevators and have constant changes.  based off of  a 2d design.  we then model and make changes on the fly.   unfortunatly we are learing as a team as we go.     most of our designs are complex and have many parts as you can see..  I do understand what you mean with having so many associatovity between parts and the confusion it is causing.   Our hopes were that if we were to edit the main derived part all others in the assembly would follow,  but we have many more sub-assemblys attached or reffenced to other parts.. that when we did make a height change to the vertical tube in the in this perticular assembly there were conflicts to other constraints in the main assembly...   

now regarding the sketches and them not being square,  is there or do you know of a sulution to possible making the skatches or models be square again... or as you say "have I locked myself in a corner".  if so may I have to just redue the models.. 

best reagrds

Juan

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

@jramos111 wrote:

Im fairly new at inventor ....    most of our designs are complex and have many parts as you can see..  ...

Juan

I recommend that you abandon adaptive modeling technique until you get more experience and instead use multi-body solids technique (which is also associative).  Much easier to create and control all (or at least subs) in one part file and then push out individual parts and assembly (Manage>Make Components).

Once you get plenty of experience, then you can take another look at top-down adaptive.

BTW - the work you are doing is not something I would define as "complex".

Message 10 of 12
jramos111
in reply to: JDMather

JDmather  

thank you for your input,  as mentioned i am a begginer to solids and 3D modeling so all of this is complex to me at this time.  Im sure with more experience this will later be a walk in the park.   Will take your advice into consideration.  Thank you for your time, much appreciated.. 

regards

Juan

Message 11 of 12
Cadmanto

Juan,

My suggestion would be to start opening up some of these adaptive parts and break the associativity in the sketches.

Then reconstrain them within the confines of the sketch.  Then go back into the model and use straight forward assembly constraining.

One part at a time.  I also think that you might benefit from iparts.  Take a look at this link from the help file.  This might help you from having so many individual parts.  Don't know, but I am throwing it out there.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-60919937-2247-4C32-B9C9-6045D751FFF9

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 12
jramos111

cadmanto

Thank you very much,  you have been very helpfull.  appreciate your valueable time, feedback and possible sulitions.  

regards

Juan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report